Revised Router Question

I need to dado a 3/4" width and 3/8" depth in oak plywood. I will be using a 3/4" carbide tip straight bit with a 1/2" shank. Can I do this in one pass? What speed should I set my router?

Reply to
petegladstein

I wouldn't do it in one pass. That's a lot of wood. I also wouldn't use a full-width bit, as generally speaking the stuff you're putting *into* the dado isn't exactly 3/4".

Better to use one of the jigs posted earlier with a 1/2" bit.

As for speed, that depends on the specific bit. You might look at this article:

Chris Friesen

I've routed 3/4 X 3/8 deep in one pass many times. My router is a DeWalt

618. I've left mine on the highest speed and plowed through as the router would take it. I've also done it in two passes. I guess it depended on how much of a hurry I thought I was in or if I was feeling gutsy or something.

Try a scrap. If it does not route through well then reduce the depth of cut and do it in two passes. If you're really concerned about router speed - read your manual. What does it suggest? What does it suggest for depth of cut?

Both of these questions can well be answered by the information found in most router manuals. It does pay to read the manual.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Pick up this months Shop notes. There is a great jig for this type of Problem of undersize Plywood

Reply to
bdeditch