Revised lighting plan

I revised my lighting plan from last year and posted a diagram of my current plans on my website. Yea/Nea?

you, Bill

P.S. My floor is not really as clean as it looks in the picture! ; )

In another few weeks, I will be able to get back to putting some honest effort into this multi-faceted "project"!

Reply to
Bill

drill press?

In a few weeks I'll be done for the season. :-(

Reply to
krw

Mostly waiting on those few weeks I mentioned below. I've got the wood cut for its baseboard. I read the directions for my router 2 days ago. I'm going to use the DP baseboard as an opportunity to learn to try out my router. I need to trim the hedges and de-algae the deck this weekend.

Do you have uniform lighting throughout your shop?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

mornings, stormy days, etc? Nothing on the bottom side?

What? You can see the floor in your shop? You rat!

You don't want to drop the middle of the three or it will leave you with deep/bad shadows over your workbench.

Cool.

-- The United States of America is the greatest, the noblest and, in its original founding principles, the only moral country in the history of the world. -- Ayn Rand

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Not yet. My shop is under heavier construction than yours. I'm just putting in the walls and ceiling rafters. If I get that done before summer sets in I'll be doing good. Then in the Fall/Winter I'll have to put in the sub-floor, insulate, and have someone install something for the HVAC.

I did buy the drill press, though. I'll be moving it around until I get the rest done. I'll probably do something like your base, except put wheels on it. I thought of adding blocks to get the wheels off the floor but really haven't thought that far ahead.

Reply to
krw

I could add a 4th light along my end wall, but it gets hard to justify it. I think I'm a "garage door--Open" kind of person. I can always add more maps--even before I finish, if I'm not happy with the result.

Should I expect to be able to make my wire connections inside the lamp fixtures--connecting the fixtures with conduit? Oops, someone's gonna say I should be looking in a book! ;)

**Noted and appreciated.

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
Bill

Wow, you're really "building"!

Congrats on your DP purchase! I believe you chose a good one. : ) My only concern about my baseboard is about its height. If I'm not happy with it I won't hesitate to rip it apart. I'll keep you posted.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I do, pretty much. Could use one more light over the lumber rack end.

My shop is about the same size as yours. I would arrange the lights thusly, keeping the two odd balls too...

dadiOH

Oh, you're the bastard down the street making all that noise, are you? I try to severely diminish the noise for my neighbors whenever possible.

?Maps? You mean fixtures?

Yeah, trailing bare wires out through knife-sharp knockout holes is not the best method. Use flexible (if not hard) conduit and threaded end connectors.

And some boatmonger will be cussing you for not putting up at _least_ twenty seven or so fixtures.

-- The United States of America is the greatest, the noblest and, in its original founding principles, the only moral country in the history of the world. -- Ayn Rand

Reply to
Larry Jaques

where I'll be 80% of the time (and 2 of the lights would be over the garage door, when it is up). At least your idea doesn't require the budget be increased, except for a little wire and conduit!

Thank you, Bill

Reply to
Bill

Yeah, sorry, I meant to type "lamps", not "maps".

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Maybe I'll go back to the idea we came up with a few months ago of "experimenting" a little before doing the "final installation".

Hope spring has arrived for you in OH!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Put the light fixture on plugs and install outlets overhead. It makes rearrangement a lot easier when/if you reconfigure the gara... ahh, shop.

Reply to
Nova

It's in the attic, over the garage (where a "Bonus" or "FROG" would be). I first had to raise (8") and level the floor. The Mexican framers did a horrible job on the house. I have the knee walls in and I'm just finishing up the closet walls. I'll then finish off the rafters and call it a summer. The attic gets HOT in the Alabama summer.

I certainly hope so. The finance committee isn't likely to go for another one soon. Next is the bandsaw, I think.

Having played a little with the DP, I really do want it higher. I found myself stooping over to use it. Another 6-8" would be nice. Let me know what you end up with. If you do a Sketchup model of yours, post it somewhere. I have a router table and a storage cabinet or two to do before that, I think.

Reply to
krw

Okay, I'll post pictures of the actual baseboard and the model for you in a few weeks. If you need it sooner, let me know, I can post my SU model for you in 5 minutes or less. I'll feel better about the design after has been "validated" by the build.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Nah, no need to rush things. Like I said, I'll likely not get to it for a while. ...unless I get tired of moosing it around with a hand truck. It can't go far because most of the floor is just 1/2" OSB with a screw holding it to the floor "joists" (spacers, really) in each corner.

Reply to
krw

Sorry, but you can only add lamps to fixtures, sir.

-- The United States of America is the greatest, the noblest and, in its original founding principles, the only moral country in the history of the world. -- Ayn Rand

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Not nearly enough lights. Unless you are standing in the small area where the 7 lights are located, you won't see anything in that 20x25 foot, 500 square space. My basement is roughly 600 and 700 square feet on its two sides. I have 18 and 19 four foot two bulb fixtures in those two spaces. 18 fixtures on the 700 sq ft side and 19 fixtures on the 600 sq ft side. Just worked out that way. The basement is very well lit, very even. White walls and white floor help too. The four foot two bulb fixtures are only $20 each. Buy 10 more and put them in. You don't have to use metal conduit. Romex stapled to the ceiling will work fine. Or better run it up in the attic part of the garage so its invisible.

Reply to
russellseaton1

Two fluorescent strips, about four feet apart, on either side of the table saw blade give a nearly shadow-free light where you need it, and leave an alley between for tall cuts, such as tenons.

Reply to
Father Haskell

Your eyes must be stopped down to f-32 even wearing sun glasses on top of snow goggles :)

Reply to
dadiOH