resin mixing

. Yeah, I recall that being about how it was explained. Catching fire would be problematic. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

the manufacturer specifies 2 parts resin to 1 part catalyst

too much bother with pumps/sysringes

weighing with disposable cups is the simplest

Reply to
Electric Comet

Electric Comet wrote in news:mq5fht$3hn$1 @dont-email.me:

Well, that's helpfully vague.

I'd pretty much garauntee, tho, that the catalyst is twice as dense as the resin, so 2:1 is the pretty much the same either by weight or volume.

When you buy your resin gallons at a time (or in 50gal drums, like Lew) the pumps that just screw into the can are easiest. For a one-time deal, measuring in cups is, as you say, the simplest plan.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

major obvious strikes again

yeah it is hard to pour the resin out from a 50gal drum so you need a pump

are you trying to say that the pump measures the volume as well

no cleanup needed just toss it

Reply to
Electric Comet

Leon wrote in news:xOmdnSRy9 snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

What about a heat gun? There's no open flame, so all you have to watch for is the self-ignition temperature.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Leon wrote in news:xOmdnSRy9 snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

What about a heat gun? There's no open flame, so all you have to watch for is the self-ignition temperature.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

no need for heat if you pour it and mix it properly

Reply to
Electric Comet

----------------------------------------------------- Are we talking about epoxy or polyester?

If polyester, then the amount of catalyst will affect the "kick" time.

If epoxy, then the part "A", part "B" must be maintained for the mix to "kick" at all.

You can affect the viscosity of the mixed epoxy by adding some denatured alcohol, up to about 5% max.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I was not the one doing it, that is what the pros tole me.

Reply to
Leon

Dream on. Pouring/mixing in any way do not prevent bubbles.

Reply to
dadiOH

Electric Comet wrote in news:mq5n6n$lb$1 @dont-email.me:

Yes, exactly. West System, for example, sells a pump set that fits on their cans. The pump for the resin pumps 5 times as much, per stroke, as the pump for the catalyst, thus you get the correct 5:1 ratio.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

soooooo. How much in a single stroke? And what if you want a smaller quantity?

Reply to
Leon

definitely would save time seems to me that the big issue is to make sure your mixing is thorough

Reply to
Electric Comet

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Enough.

Tough, you get what you get. Find something else that needs glueing to use up the extra...

(in all seriousness, if you're using that sort of epoxy you'd likely need much more than one stroke's worth of epoxy. If you only need a little bit, get the two-tube 5 minute epoxy from Home Despot).

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Electric Comet wrote in news:mq825u$31o$1 @dont-email.me:

That is more a problem for what you're doing, because the product is clear. Most epoxies the catalyst is a darker color than the resin, and you can see by the color that it's well mixed.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

The pumps I have dispense 1 oz. per stroke. If I'm using 1:3, I pump one resin, three hardener. If I want less, I do fractional strokes.

Reply to
dadiOH

that is a good feature it could be a real problem for a large pour

for me it is not a big problem because of such small batches

Reply to
Electric Comet