Re: What is it? LVI

315 Skeleton keys 316 Spoke wrench 317 Puzzle If the top piece is turned over, it will fit into the stack, forming a cube. 319 Auto valve stem cover.
Reply to
Leo Lichtman
  • R. H.

315 keys

316 317 Soma cubes 318 Oar fork for rowing boats (whatever such things are called in English)

319

320 old thing to remove isolation from electrical wires
Reply to
Jon Haugsand

the word you are looking for to describe 318 is rollocks

Reply to
Peter
  • snipped-for-privacy@optusnet.xcom.xau

Are you sure. Could not find that word using dict, but rowlock was there:

rowlock n : a holder attached to the gunwale of a boat that holds the oar in place and acts as a fulcrum for rowing [syn: {peg}, {pin}, {thole}, {tholepin}, {oarlock}]

But thanks anyway.

Reply to
Jon Haugsand

I think oarlock is more common. Never heard 'rowlock' before.

Reply to
fredfighter

Damn. I thought it was a tuning fork.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)

(website)

Reply to
Tom Watson

Oarlock is an Americanism. Rowlock is the Brit equivalent.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

No, it's true.

(boom boom)

Reply to
Peter Morris

The spelling is 'rowlock' but it is pronounced 'rollock'. Much as 'gunwale' is pronounced 'gunnel' or 'boatswain' is pronounced 'bosun'.

Reply to
Larry Green

A friend worked on the tall ship Gazella, and once gave me a tour. After a while I caught on that things like "midsil" were actually the mid SAIL.

I developed a theory that, when on deck with your face encrusted with ice and your pearly whites clattering together, shortening words as much as possible becomes a biological necessity. :)

Reply to
Tim Mullen

Oarlocks

Reply to
Gary Brady

Agreed. Rowlock is a masonry term. A row of brick laying on edge capping the top of a freestanding brick wall is a rowlock.

Reply to
Gary Brady

"rowlocks" is how it is spelt "rollocks" is how it is pronounced

;-)

Reply to
Bob Martin

315: Keys to warded locks.

318: dipstick

320: Looks like a bypass cutting tool that might have been modified for a specific purpose.
Reply to
Matthew Russotto

'bosun'.

Well, that explains Balmore, MD. It's a port city.

Reply to
fredfighter

But in the area closest to the docks, it's "Bal-TEE-more".

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

This one is marked "A. Dudley Mfg. Co., Menominee, Mich., Pat. May 29-94".

Reply to
R.H.

All but one have been correctly answered::

315. Skeleton keys

316. Spoke wrench

317. Soma puzzle

318. Tuning fork, note E

319. Old Michelin tire tube valve stem cap

320. No correct guesses yet

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

Ayup. that confirms it. high wheel bicycle spoke wrench.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi
  • R. H.

What /is/ "skeleton keys"?