Re: Sticker Shock - Sprayable Finishes

Check out

Their premium spray lacquer works well and they are very good with the shipping. It usually takes 2 days from NJ to GA.

I use it all the time. The other thing is that spraying uses a lot less material than brushing.

Reply to
David B. Chamberlain

Hydrocote Resistane about $19/gal direct from Hood Products.

Reply to
Rumpty

Is this better than that? I'm not gonna make any statement until you define what this and that are. What please is 'normal' urathane (as opposed to 'regular') and especially what is 'premium' urathane. Where are you shopping? Are we discussing common name brands?

Woodchip

Reply to
Paul Andersen

Hi Paul, By "normal" I am talking about products such as Flecto's Varathane and the like plus house brands available in most hardware stores and the Borgs. Yes, common name brands. The products by Fuhr, Turbinaire, Target, ect were the ones which raised my question on cost vs benefits. Regular vs Premium- Several companies two products, one they call Regular, the other they call Premium. As to "It this better than That?" , as I have the sum total of one month's spraying experience I feel I am not the best one to answer that question and that is one reason I went to the group for help. But, criteria such as coverage, self leveling, hardness, durability, number of coats required, time between coats, tintability ?, ect (feel free to jump in here group) are the type of thing I am asking about. Thanks, JG

Paul Andersen wrote:

Reply to
JGS

Reply to
Pat Barber

It would seem that the questions you should be asking is "in what way is the premium better then the normal"? The question should be presented to the people making the claim.

Second question, once the first is asked and answered should be one you ask yourself. is, is the difference adding any finishing benefit to the project that is actually needed and worth the money.

I'm sure we'd all like to hear the response to the first question. The answer to the second question would be one that would have to be made by the person assessing the use of the piece.

Personal opinion, the difference would have to be pretty damn spectacular and offer protection on the order of a coat of diamonds and the piece would have to be destined to be some place where it needed that protection, say, a kindergarten, to be worth twice as much as off the shelf urethane.

Note, even then it probably wouldn't be worth it since, in such an extreme case, the finish is sure to be damaged and need refinishing after a relatively short period of time and the labor of removing such a finish would make the job prohibitive. Picture trying to strip one of those epoxy finishes you sometimes find on restaurant tables.

I almost get tired of saying it. The purpose of a finish is to protect the wood from X level of use. The first question to ask yourself when considering a finish is, what finish provides the minimum amount of protection commensurate with the projects expected use. Then go from there with questions such as, desired appearance, actual appearance, ease of application, drying time, cost, etc.....

If you decide that whatever extras this super duper finish gives you, and the extra isn't just hype, is absolutely essential to the long term success of the job then twice as much or not, you use it and you price the work accordingly. If you decide it is needed and a price is already set and you can't convince the customer it is worth revising the job cost you eat the extra cost. Last option is that you just use the off the shelf stuff and keep mum about the whole thing. That is the way it works.

Reply to
Mike G