Re: How Do You Stay On Track During A Project (semi-long)

To answer the original question, I always planned out before the building stage the over all look and which woods to use or mix. A few years later, CAD programs greatly helped with color and design including grain direction when the grain direction was acceptable to change. Sorry that I did not really answer any questions here but it was always easy for me to picture the finished project before I started.

Reply to
Leon

Sat, Jul 12, 2003, 9:08pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net (Leon) says: I always planned out before the building always easy for me to picture the finished project before I started.

What Leon said. Without the CAD. A prototype is always good, to catch changes to be made. Imagination, along with, tape measure, pencil, paper, for measurements. No prob.

JOAT Let's just take it for granted you don't know what the Hell you're talking about.

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 25 Jun 2003. Some tunes I like.

Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT

More on what Leon said about CAD.

Really learn how to use a CAD program. I use micrographx designer. Draw 3 views to scale. I actually draw each piece of wood independently, then assemble. This gives me an idea of what the finished product looks like.

I also go back and change the drawing if I make changes during construction. It helps me keep things straight. If you learn how to set up your page so it is to scale, then you can take measurements right off the drawing.

If you use different colors of wood, you can color your eboards to match.

I usually redraw several times and show to the wife for feedback.

I have not mastered a 3d rendering program yet, but that would allow you to get 3d views of your projects before you build.

Reply to
Montyhp

To answer the original question... Easy. This is how I pay my bills and employees. I have to stay on track. Sometimes we run three jobs at once. One employee said to me once that it's hard for them to keep the jobs separate. I told them it's not for them to worry about it's my job to keep the jobs separate, you just need to do the task at hand at the time. Try having three dead lines for three different contractors, that will help you keep on track very fast.

Eric Morehouse ELM Woodworks, LLC

Reply to
elmwood