Re: Compound Miter Saw vs. Circular Saw

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 21:18:03 -0500, the infamous Tom Veatch scrawled the following:

> >>In the course of renovating a room in my house, I need to make some >>bevel & straight cuts on a 10' x 6" baseboard. So here's my >>opportunity to add to my collection. As woodworkers and possibly home >>handymen, would a compound miter saw (non-sliding) or circular saw be >>more advantageous. >> >>Thanks. > > >For the home handyman/carpentry type projects, the circular saw will >be more versatile.

As a working handyman, I can attest to that.

For the woodworker projects in the workshop, miter >saw. For me, but YMMV, miter saw = greater accuracy and precision, >circular saw = higher utility and portability. >For the specific task mentioned. trim work in a fixed location, I'd go >with the miter saw. But neither one really replaces the other. Budget >permitting, get both.

But get a 12" _slider_, bobted. I picked up a 10" Delta CMS for $25 and outgrew it on the third job I used it on. My final 45-degree cuts in 2x10s were with the dozuki (japanese pull saw.) The little 10-inch miter saw left a couple inches to cut at that angle.

Reply to
Larry Jaques