Ranking Powertool Makers

I guess my vision is skewed onna 'count of my Makitas are all old and still running.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Mine, too.

Reply to
Never Enough Money

Yeah, me too.

I guess.

Maybe.

Maybe not.

Upon further thought, absolutely not.

Hard to tell since you have left absolutely NO clue what you are replying to and your post just showed up after I have refreshed the group so no context is visible in the titles.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Reply to
Mark & Juanita

.. but I do wish that codless tool batteries were standardized ;....

Reply to
GregP

Reply to
John

Thu, Jan 13, 2005, 4:57pm snipped-for-privacy@msn.ca (dadada) rank the following tool makers

Craftsman is NOT a tool manufacturer. One of you guys should have caught that. Sears slaps the Craftsman name on various things they sell, from various manufacturers.

JOAT Charity ain't giving people what you wants to give, it's giving people what they need to get.

- Albert

Reply to
J T

Well, I think it's so obvious nobody even considers it a question...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Mon, Jan 17, 2005, 9:58am (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@swko.dot.net (Duane=A0Bozarth) claims: Well, I think it's so obvious nobody even considers it a question...

What's obvious to me is, the original posted included Craftsman in his list of tool makers, and so did several other people.

JOAT Charity ain't giving people what you wants to give, it's giving people what they need to get.

- Albert

Reply to
J T

They'll do that as soon as they standardise razor blades and printer cartridges.

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

Well, they're a distributor of branded tools...to the consumer there's no difference. B&D, et al., contract out to off-shore manufacturing facilities as well, so one could make the same claim for them...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

In google I can see the tree of responses so it's obvious I was replying to Unisaw A100 on his Makita. Sorry. Didn't realize everybody doesn't see the reply tree.

Reply to
Never Enough Money

Craftsman tools are spec'd by Sears to the manufacturer, thus, given the volume that they have built and sell, one can consider them as tool makers when making comparisons because although some of their tools may resemble the name brand from which they are derived on the outside, they may differ in significant ways in the internals. Thus, it would not be a reasonable ranking to rate a Craftsman tool manufactured by, for example, Makita as equivalent to its Makita ancestor -- the Craftsman tool would most likely be a tool of its own.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Sounds exactly like an oem manufacturers for computers.

Reply to
Upscale

Mon, Jan 17, 2005, 4:31pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Never=A0Enough=A0Money) says: In google I can see the tree of responses so it's obvious I was replying to Unisaw A100 on his Makita. Sorry. Didn't realize everybody doesn't see the reply tree.

You can tell who I'm replying to, because I included that. Who you replying to? I can't tell.

JOAT Charity ain't giving people what you wants to give, it's giving people what they need to get.

- Albert

Reply to
J T

Yes, but your editor does not include an indicator to denote what portion is the quoted text and what text you've added. It sometimes makes things difficult to determine who wrote what.

Nova

Tue, Jan 18, 2005, 7:08pm snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net (Nova) says: Yes, but your editor does not include an indicator to denote what portion is the quoted text and what text you've added. It sometimes makes things difficult to determine who wrote what.

Well, I always indicate who's post I'm quoting, I never indent quoted material, and, I do indent my text. Plus I always leave a space between the two. Best I can do.

JOAT Charity ain't giving people what you wants to give, it's giving people what they need to get.

- Albert

Reply to
J T

JOAT (indicating to whom I'm replying a second time),

Why can't you view the post in such a way as to see which post are replies to which other post? I've just simply not seen anything so primitive that it doesn't show that.

I'm currently using google groups but have used several other newgroup viewers.

Reply to
Never Enough Money

Most of us have threading turned on, but also show only unread posts. If we read a thread and postings prior to your reply, we subsequently only see new postings and your reply appears completely context-free. Sure, one could view all posts, read and unread in a thread, but that becomes a jumbled, huge mess given the number of postings this group gets.

If your post appears in a thread prior to our having browsed the group, then, yes, your post appears in the proper context. But you can't assume that such a condition will always happen -- there are going to be many people who will have read the post to which you reply prior to you having seen and replied to that post.

I've never seen a newsreader with such a primitive interface that it does not include the text from the post to which the person is replying in the reply. To strip out all of the context actually requires more effort than leaving some context within the post.

Mark & Juanita

Tue, Jan 18, 2005, 7:38pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Never=A0Enough=A0Money) posts: JOAT (indicating to whom I'm replying a second time), Why can't you view the post in such a way as to see which post are replies to which other post? I've just simply not seen anything so primitive that it doesn't show that. I'm currently using google groups but have used several other newgroup viewers.

I've got a WebTV. Now you've seen something that primative.