Raised panels with a straight bit? Yep!

It occurred to me that I could potentially make raised panels with my new t ilting router table fence. I gave it a shot this evening and it works like a charm. Any one see any potential problems in using a solid carbide upcu t bit for this? The stress will be only on one side of the bit at a time. My thinking is that this is fine.

Picture:

Fence if you want to get the plans (not the purpose of this post - just in case anyone is interested)

brian

tilting router table fence.  I gave it a shot this evening and it works like a charm.  Any one see any potential problems in using a solid carbid e upcut bit for this?  The stress will be only on one side of the bit at a time.  My thinking is that this is fine.

n case anyone is interested)

ted

Similar idea rotated 90 degrees:

Start at 1:48

Reply to
Greg Guarino

tilting router table fence. I gave it a shot this evening and it works like a charm. Any one see any potential problems in using a solid carbide upcut bit for this? The stress will be only on one side of the bit at a time. My thinking is that this is fine.

case anyone is interested)

Since you enjoy building jigs, this might give you some ideas.

They have been selling this for several years and it really has some pretty interesting "features".

Pat Barber

Any one see any potential problems in using a solid carbide upcut bit for this? The stress will be only on one side of the bit at a time. My thinki ng is that this is fine.

Seems like a great idea and should be fine as long as you don't mash it. I' ve only broken spiral bits when hitting them with interrupted cuts or other jostling type situation. They hold up well under consistent stress.

I assume you will use us a multiple pass scenario if using a hardwood not p ine. Does your jig\fence accommodate the concept of multiple settings. Typi cally on a flat fence you setup for the final cut then add shims to the fac e that can be removed as you do sequential passes.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

this? The stress will be only on one side of the bit at a time. My think ing is that this is fine.

I've only broken spiral bits when hitting them with interrupted cuts or oth er jostling type situation. They hold up well under consistent stress.

Yes multiple passes (1/8" or increments or so -give or take). No shims but I keep a stop behind the fence. I'm using an old contractor saw as my rou ter table so I use the existing miter tracks to hold adjustable stops.

Seems to have worked great. I plan on posting a video of the process for m aking raised panels and splined miter joints tomorrow. I'll probably post a link here tomorrow so I can get the rec feedback.

I'm not sure how often I'd use this method but it is pretty cool. The TS w ould definitely be faster. Might be a good idea to use both a TS to cut of f the bulk and follow up with the router for the finish pass.

Cheers!

Reply to
brian