Question 'help'

I am using a Forstner 1 1/4" bit trying to drill a hole 1/8th" deep in a piece of 2"x2" x 1/4" birch ..... the wood burns and tends to bend before the hole is

1/8th deep....what am I doing wrong? Thanks,Hugh in Ohio
Reply to
Hugh Comstock

Hugh Comstock asks:

Possibly a dull bit, improper backing, too much pressure. Forstner bits can require more pressure than some others, but for a 1/8" deep hole, you should be in and done before extra pressure is needed.

Are you using a portable drill or a drill press? Make sure whatever backer you use is dead flat and thick enough to prevent deflection.

Charlie Self "When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary." Thomas Paine

Reply to
Charlie Self

Using drill press...with 1" wood base under piece being drilled...can Forstner bits be sharpened? Thanks Charlie

Reply to
Hugh Comstock

Could the bit be spinning too fast? Try Setting DP to slowest speed

Reply to
Brikp

Exactly, slowest speed for a Forstner! I just did the same in plywood, 7/8" bit going in 1/8" deep, and that quick, at the slowest speed it got real warm. Ancient giant Rockwell monster.

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

yes.

Reply to
bridger

Hopefully this is not your problem...

I bought some extremely cheap forstners at a Homier sale. They are worthless junk, and burn almost immediately. (Oddly, a few of them aren't too bad, but most of them are worthless.)

So, are yours a decent brand?

Reply to
toller

and the sharpening geometry *really* matters for forstner bits. it might be that half or more of the problems with your cheapies is in the sharpening and can be fixed.

Reply to
bridger

Drill press is set to too high a speed?

Reply to
Prometheus

...but if you don't know what you're doing, you're better off to buy a good one that's been sharpened correctly to start with. If you don't know what you're doing, you'll just make things worse. (DAMHIKT.)

Reply to
Silvan

Forstner bits can be sharpened. I get results I am happy with with a Moto Tool and 1" aluminum oxide cutoff disks.

bob g.

p.s. If if doesn't feel sharp to f> Using drill press...with 1" wood base under piece being drilled...can

Reply to
Robert Galloway

Dear DAMHIKT, don't give up. Sharpening is a very intuitive thing. Some folks get around this with jigs and fixtures. More power to them but if you spend enough time sharpening and using, you'll get a feel for the angles you need do grind and the feel of the cutting edge to your finger tip that will let you know when you've got what will work/what you want.

bob g.

Silvan wrote:

Reply to
Robert Galloway

How about a paragraph of description? I can visualize using a conical grinding stone, but a disk?

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis