Question about finishing a wood plane

Hi,

I have an old wood plane with very poor finish.

I would like to sand the old finish off and re-apply something new.

What are your recommendations.

Joe

I would like to use something like wipe on poly. What that work?

Reply to
Joseph Schutz

Poly will work, but why not use oil, instead? Any film finish is likely to peel or chip, somewhere down the road. Using something that penetrates, or, perhaps, nothing at all, might be a better choice. That is, unless you're plan is to display the tool, as opposed to using it!

Reply to
Kevin Singleton

"Joseph Schutz" wrote in news:M2j_b.384826$na.591125@attbi_s04:

Does the plane have collectors' value? If so, proceed very slowly, if at all. At least until you find out more.

That being said, last week's rerun of Roy Underhill's "The Woodwright's Shop" indicated that the true neander would simply give it a good coating of linseed oil...

Patriarch, who just today got around to glueing up the first plane body for the Krenov style planes he started last fall....

Reply to
patriarch

"Joseph Schutz" wrote in news:M2j_b.384826$na.591125@attbi_s04:

Does the plane have collectors' value? If so, proceed very slowly, if at all. At least until you find out more.

That being said, last week's rerun of Roy Underhill's "The Woodwright's Shop" indicated that the true neander would simply give it a good coating of linseed oil...

Patriarch, who just today got around to glueing up the first plane body for the Krenov style planes he started last fall....

Reply to
patriarch

Good advice, Kevin (and welcome back). :-) I asked the guys from Clark & Williams who make beautiful planes the old-fashioned way, and they suggested that I use Minwax "antique oil" finish (I think that's the right name) as it is probably the closest thing out there to the traditional plane finish.

Poly is a definite no-no, as is any true surface film finish.

Chuck Vance

Reply to
Conan the Librarian

The plane is very twisted as well, and I intend to correct the twist, so I doubt it has collector value since it is far from usable. It is about

27 inches long and appears to be made of pear wood. I bought it in Switzerland at a junk store for a few bucks. I liked it because it looked cool, but I did not realize it was so twisted. I have bought about 6-8 planes in Europe over the last several years and most are relatively usable, and have rarely paid more than $ 10.00 USD. I intend to continue buying as many as I see of this sort.

Most have less than flat bottoms and show wear, but a gentle sanding usually gets them to a usable condition. I try not to change the thickness of the bottom by more than about 1/64 to 1/32 of an inch. It is amazing what difference that can make.

The reason I inquired about a finish, is that this particular plane is made of relatively soft wood. It looks like it was varnished. I think it needs something to enhance the surface durability of the wood.

On the other hand it was used a lot, in it's life, that is obvious.

Joe

Reply to
Joseph Schutz

Hmmmm. Alkyd equivalent of Wipe-On Poly.

Reply to
George

Chuck,

That Minwax may have poly in it, so check before using to make sure you're getting what you want. And, thanks. I've been gone, a while, fighting with lawyers, and moving to Pennsylvania. What a difference a year makes! I hope everyone on the wreck is doing well.

Reply to
Kevin Singleton

Damn, you're the second guy to mention that (thanks, George). That is very strange, because I could swear that Larry recommended that for touching up his planes. I'll check it out. Thankfully I haven't used it yet. :-)

Pretty much the same old stuff. (Well, except for the alt.troll crowd which for some reason decided that they needed to flaunt their lack of self-esteem in this corner of Usenet.)

O'Deen still shows up every once in a while, Gunterman made a brief appearance (he's a cop in Memphis now?!), Keef is still wielding the klown hammuh from sWisconsin, Lawwy is still trying to get around to finishing *anything*, Nahm still uses too much glue, nails and RBS (hi, LRod), and Craftsman still sucks.

Pennsyltucky, eh? That's quite a difference from Taxsuss I'll bet.

Chuck Vance

Reply to
Conan The Librarian

Minwax has more than one product, so what you have may be different. It's worth checking, though.

I expect that's the case throughout, these days. We could all use some practice with our filters, eh?

Cool. I was in Memphis on my way up here. I suppose I'm glad I didn't run into Gunterman, then! Nice town, especially the approach across the Mississippi, but that dry rub barbecue ain't all it's cracked up to be.

Amazingly, it's not. The people are friendly, and proud of their heritage, just like Texans. This end of the state is fairly rural, particularly up where I am, if it weren't for the hills, trees, rivers, and weird accents, you couldn't tell it from Texas. Oh, and there's no decent chili, tamales, or tortillas, but they do have tequila, so it's not a total loss.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Singleton

I used to live in Nashville, so we'd go through Memphis every so often. But for the life of me I can't remember what Memphis-style barbecue was like.

So have they cleaned Memphis up some? I loved the drive across the river, but back when I lived in Tennessee, you had to be vewwwy caweful where you drove in town (especially after dark).

Yeah, it sounds just like to Texas to me. ;-) So are you up in the Poconos? I don't know much about the state, but I did spend a couple of weeks in a little town down near Pittsburgh ... I think it was called Washington. Was working on a soil-drilling/testing rig taking soil samples from around a machine shop that they thought was located over a radioactive dump. Lovely job, that.

Oh, and it was just like Texas too, except for the industrial pollution, radioactive waste, bad beer and funny accents. Oh wait ... that *is* just like Texas ... *Houston*, Texas.

(With apologies to the Furry Freak Brothers) You know what they say: Tequila will get you through times of no decent Mexican food better than Mexican food will get you through times of no tequila. :-)

Chuck Vance

Reply to
Conan the Librarian

It's dry, salty, probably too spicy for its own good, and not nearly as tasty as a good Texas brisket. The pulled pork was pretty good, but I can pull my own pork, thank-you-very-much!

I don't know what it was like, before, but it seemed ok. We didn't stay 'til dark, and we kinda skirted the main part of the city, but what we saw was typical of a very famous mid-sized town. I'm sure there are plenty of places to avoid after dark, but the parts I saw didn't give me that impression. I wanted to go downtown, and see the tourist sights, but my beautiful yankee princess wanted to keep moving, and I can't deny her anything!

Washington is southwest of Pittsburgh. I'm northwest of Pittsburgh, in Monaca. We're closer to Lake Erie than the Poconos, I think. It's very Texas-like, in that people wave as you drive past them, and they're fiercely proud of whence they came. Other than that, the Texas Roadhouse and the Lone Star Steakhouse are about as close to Texican as you can get, and the infamous ChiChis is the nearest "Mexican" food. I hope you didn't find anything to worry about whilst you were drilling. I can see the steam from the local nuclear power plant from the end of my street, and I'm just a few hundred yards from the Ohio River, with its decaying steel mills and industrial ports. That's the bad part. I'm also just a mile or two from what appears to be excellent whitetail country, and some pretty decent walleye, smallmouth, crappie, black bass, and pickerel fishing. They even catch muskie, around here, which is like bear hunting with a fishing pole!

They've got bad beer in Houston? :>)

Deep! Very, very deep!

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Singleton

I'm not touching that line. I grew up in the general area, and I sometimes get the urge for pork barbecue. But the only way to get it the way I like it is to cook it myself. (And the secret is the sauce.)

"Beautiful yankee princess"? Hmmm ... so I guess that explains how you wound up in Pennsyltucky? :-}

Well, aside from the fact that we had to be checked with a geiger counter any time we left the job site, it wasn't too bad. There was some radioactivity in the area, and it turned out to be mostly radon gas coming from around the slab of the machine shop. It made you wonder what the incidences of various kinds of cancer were for folks who lived and worked there their whole lives.

Heh. Yeah, I've seen clips of fishing for those monsters. I hear that the best way to catch them is to strap a live squirrel to a little raft and rubberband your hook to him. Drift the raft out and pull the squirrel off and watch him try to swim to shore. ;-)

So is there any trout fishing up there? I was expecting you'd be far enough north to get into a bit of that as well. Or is the water too warm and/or polluted for them?

So this was your first winter up there?

Ever had Pearl? :-) (Nice catch, BTW.)

ObWW: I'll bet you can get some pretty nice hardwoods for a lot cheaper than down this way.

Chuck Vance

Reply to
Conan The Librarian

Sounds like a description of Baytown, Channelview, or Pasadena... rather than of Houston proper or most of the rest of Texas...

Reply to
jjp

I always think of "Houston proper" as extending from Columbus to Beaumont.

Chuck Vance Just say (tmPL) Take it easy, it was just a joke, son.

Reply to
Conan the Librarian