Queen's Windsor Chair at Jamestown

According to MSNBC:

At a ceremony in the brick church at Jamestown, built in 1907 near the original church frame dating to 1617, the queen presented a handmade, elaborately carved Windsor chair as a gift to the people of Virginia.

Reply to
mjmwallace

I can't help you with the picture, but according to

(sorry about the linewrap)

: During yesterday's visit, the monarch presented a high-back, : Mendlesham-style, Windsor chair, which had been hand-crafted by : Saxmundham-based company Finewood.

Reply to
Drew Lawson

This gets you to the company, probably something like this one custom carved.

rmeyer1

Yes. Although this chair is from Suffolk (SE coast), the "typical" mass-market Windsors in the UK were made and sold around the Windsor area.

The Queen's bizarre history of names are the result of a country that doesn't much like foreigners finding itself ruled by offshoots of European minor nobility. They deliberately renamed themselves from the German "Battenburg" to the more English-sounding "Mountbatten" to avoid being mistaken for a cheap pink cake. Swapping "Schleswig- Holstein-Sonderburg-Gl=FCcksburg" with a side-order of "Saxe-Coburg Gotha" for "Windsor" makes it easier for our illiterate tabloids to spell.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

should be painted not stained. Notice how the grain distracts the eye from the pure form and shape of the chair (which isn't especially lovely for a Windsor). For the same reason, girls shouldn't get tattoos.

Another more practical reason is that Dunbar's chairs use at least three different types of wood: maple turnings, pine seat, red oak arm, bow and spindles, cherry hand rests (added to the oak arm). Each wood offers desirable properties for the components.

YMMV, Dean

Reply to
Dean H.

Drew, Thank you for posting this interesting sidebar to the Queen's activities in Virginia. I would not have known where to look. Joe G

Reply to
GROVER

Yes. Although this chair is from Suffolk (SE coast), the "typical" mass-market Windsors in the UK were made and sold around the Windsor area.

The Queen's bizarre history of names are the result of a country that doesn't much like foreigners finding itself ruled by offshoots of European minor nobility. They deliberately renamed themselves from the German "Battenburg" to the more English-sounding "Mountbatten" to avoid being mistaken for a cheap pink cake. Swapping "Schleswig- Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg" with a side-order of "Saxe-Coburg Gotha" for "Windsor" makes it easier for our illiterate tabloids to spell.

Hey who pulled your chain ? How about getting on to the likes of wilson and his cronies who let in half of asia and africa and then enacted laws to say you have to like them and support them .

Anyway getting back to the Windsor chair not the most attractive design too much machining for me .Prefer the ones made by the bodgers wherever they could find a source of wood [many places including Windsor],the ones with the crelated stretchers the yew wood bentwood and the elm seats ...mjh

Reply to
mike hide

Have any of you been to Bayou Bend (Houston) and seen the collection of Windsor Chairs they have? If you haven't and your close by, it's worth the trip.

You'll see some Newport, Philadelphia, and Boston secretaries and cases also.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

This is probably the best link for a picture of the Windsor chair in question:

According to MSNBC:

Reply to
Planes True

These company that made these chairs is now Treeincarnated, owned by the son of the original company, now based in Dennington, Suffolk

Cath

Treeincarnated make their chairs to the measurements of their customer, you would not believe the difference it makes to your comfort.

Reply to
Cath

i always thought those chairs looked uncomfortable

they look nice like their symmetry

Reply to
Electric Comet

What was the original company? I come from a village midway between Mendlesham and Dennington. Graham

Reply to
graham

above link But the chap who actually made the chair is still making them at Treeincarnated. Cath

Reply to
Cath

Thanks!!!! I visited a company in Mendlesham a few years ago that was making repro furniture but not the chairs. There was also a company exhibiting chairs at the Suffolk Show a few years back, that included scraps of wood from Nelson's "Victory". Titmarsh & Goodwin used to make really fine stuff in their Ipswich workshops but the company was sold a couple of years ago. Graham

Reply to
graham

Treeincarnated will be at the Suffolk show this year and also at the Mendlesham street fair amongst others.

Reply to
Cath

that would definitely help along with a cushion

Reply to
Electric Comet