proper technique for mitering & angle drilling holes ?

I want to miter and join 3 pieces of wood at one end of each [their nether ends forming an approximate equilateral triangle] in a smoothe and uniform way such that I can drill one hole for bolting them all together and when loosening the bolt and swinging the legs away from each other, would form a fairly sturdy free standing triangle with as smoothe an apex as practicable.

How can the mitering, or whatever forming required, be done ?

What tools are required to most easily affect this ?

Can the hole be predrilled before assembly, or must they all somehow be clamped together and then the hole drilled ?

Appreciatively,

Courtney

Reply to
Courtney Thomas

I cannot figure out your description. What is the "nether end".

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

You're making something that works like a camera tripod, right? Your described plan won't work. Each of your legs swings on its own axis. You'd need to make some sort of nested ball joint, which would be cool, but not easy to do in wood. Add a fourth piece at the center, and use separate bolts for each leg. The center piece also lets you do something useful with the tripod once it's open.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

Whoops. That's nonsense. Start with thick stock. Cut it like this: _ ________/-|

Reply to