Problem w/ uneven stain

I an attempting to finish a chair made of white oak. I have already applied a pigment stain, which looked great, but then I had problems applying the Bartley's gel stain. The stain is uneven in some places, probably b/c I either put it on too thick in places or did not rub it down fast enough or well enough.

So my question is how do I get a nice even stain? Should I apply another coat of stain and hope that evens it out, or do I need to fix the problem before applying another coat? Is it possible to remove the excess stain w/out removing all the stain and the underlying pigment stain?

I appreciate whatever advice you can offer.

Reply to
davidmc

I am very familiar with Bartleys stains. Yes, you must wipe the stain on and almost immediately wipe it off. Otherwise you it starts to dry and is hard to remove. The good news is that you can reapply stain to those heavily coated areas and let set a bit and then rub and wipe off the areas needing attention.

ALSO, you can use common paint thinner to wipe on and even out the stain.

Reply to
Leon