Preventing toy box lid from slamming shut

There must be a simple device that allows a lid to close slowly rather than to slam of fingers. The lid(s) weigh maybe 10 pounds but can really cause an injured finger. ( The lid is much too light for the type of device found on cars.)

Reply to
greatviewcsc

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:vbno445p65lr4k2ap5c8jrno4qh6a0a6qm@

4ax.com:

There are smaller varieties appropriate for your use. You just have to search for them .

Reply to
Han

Reply to
bob kater

evodawg

There is such a device. For an example see:

Nova

Try

and search for gas springs. There are several pages of gas springs and mounting brackets. These are not too expensive for the small, low force units. These are hold open devices like on a car. Proper geometry will allow the lid to stay open and closed with or without a latch. Search for Shock Absorbers and then select Shock Absorbers & Dampers, page 1175 at present, for simple slow closers like automotive shocks without springs.

Reply to
Bob Kirkpatrick

it says in the description " Prevents lids from accidentally slamming shut on fingers." and there's no way he could have found that without searching for something obscure like, "prevent lid slam fingers". ;)

Google is the enemy, and you should keep your enemies close.

RicodJour

Very simple, "toy box support" or "toy box lid" its right in his Subject Matter.

Reply to
evodawg

As far as you're concerned everyone is here to serve you?

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

For those of you that offered helpful suggestions, thanks very much. For thoses of you who were critical of my request suggesting I could have found thiese myself, get a life. Why waste bandwith with such nonsense. Who do you think you're helping?

I've followed this group for maybe 10 years. Most of the time, every>>> > There must be a simple device that allows a lid to close slowly rather

Reply to
greatviewcsc

Jerks? Just because they pointed out something kind of obvious? I don't recall that any of those posters resorted to calling you any names for your original post. Funny you should feel the need...

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Thery are, in my humble opinion, jerks!

Why waste bandwidth with such suggestions? If one doesn't want to help in a positive manor, or has nothing positive to add why not stay silent? Who is helped by negative or non-helpful responses. Maybe the sender gets satisfaction but I really don't think anyone else finds such comments positive nor helpful to anyone.

Reply to
greatviewcsc

Reply to
Pat Barber

Perhaps it's because the helpful folks get their info by doing a google search?

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

I didn't find the response to be too awful negative. A gentle nudge towards google is often a good way to be encouraging. Most people that first post to a forum like this typically later re-post about the abundance of information they found using google. All in all, a good thing. I still have a problem with the response that calls people jerks for doing exactly what you are doing - expressing an opinion.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I've helped in a positive manor - a small manor, I think it was a two door. ;)

As far as the bandwidth, that is no longer a concern for anyone as far as I can tell. People's time, however, is always in short supply, and what you've done is to ask a group of strangers to do a search for you. If you searched and didn't find anything, well, hell, post away, but otherwise it just comes across as laziness.

Don't worry about the jerk comment. I don't - I've been called far worse by far better people! ;)

RicodJour

Have you considered that replying in the way you have might possibly cause someone's opinion of slide down hill?

Mark

Reply to
Markem

I look at it as teaching a man to fish.

Myself, I'll often post a link directly to the search.

The OP can then reply with a "Has anyone used one of these?" or a "Which of these three parts might work best?"

**
**

B A R R Y

Well, whatever you call it, a "gas strut" is what is in use on cars, and they come in an infinite variety of sizes (lengths) and strengths.

For instance, the one on the hood of my new KIA might support a ten (or more) pound toybox lid as well as it supports the hood of the car.

Flash

Reply to
Flash

Lee Valley do one. Their viscous damper is much better than any of the spring-based ones.

Reply to
Andy Dingley