Powermatic mystery?

They are not the same company, Powermatic is owned by the same company that owns Jet.

Reply to
Leon

Actually, what the article clearly states regarding 1921 is that he "was a seller of timber and rough-cut lumber" ... _nowhere_ does it state that he built any machines in 1921.

How clever these marketeers. After all, marketing works best on the gullible, and what's a little "truth stretching" among friends, eh? ;)

It's why a gullible public continues to fall for, and buy products like hamburgers, that bear no resemblance whatsoever to the pictures and gimmicks that advertise them.

FACT: "Powermatic" was founded in 1928 ... its "90th Anniversary" as Powermatic will not be until 2018.

You do the math. End of story ...

Reply to
Swingman

Well, it doesn't say he didn't, either...

It explains that he realized/believed he could improve the bottom line of the lumber business by selling dressed lumber so "Instead of purchasing a planing machine from an existing manufacturer, he decided to build his own in his workshop...".

I read that that is the year he did it.

Whether the company was named Powermatic or not, it was the predecessor and the bloodline of the machines.

I'm happy enough if that's the point Powermatic wants to use it's fine w/ me.

Any number of businesses began in precisely such a manner--McCormick, Deere, Disston, ...

--

Reply to
dpb

And I'd be quite comfortable that he had been in the lumber business for some time well before that.

Otherwise, why mention 1921 as having anything whatever to do w/ anything?

There's a point at which cynicism just loses any meaning in automagically asserting the worst possible interpretation any bending of statement can have...

Reply to
dpb

You're kidding, right?

Are you positive that a poster on a website forum, a self appointed "historian" at that, is a credible source and is not just as gullible and mistaken as you could be, and is not using the exact same source as you?

You will have to do better than that ...

Reply to
Swingman

Positive enough, yes.

No, I will (and shall) not.

Take it up w/ Powermatic and OWWM and anybody else you disagree with if you're so certain they're in error; not me.

--

Reply to
dpb

Come now, it is you who has been adding into the original article, that was posted as a cite, assumptions that are clearly, and unarguably, not stated therein.

If you are so confident in them you should at least owe it to your own assumptions to do better than the above.

It's simple ... this is a discussion forum, and if you can't live with apparent inconsistencies in your assumptions being pointed out and discussed, don't post them in the first place.

Reply to
Swingman

On 6/2/2012 5:40 PM, Swingman wrote: ...

I added nothing other than the assertion that I don't disagree w/ their assessment of the company beginnings and reading the logical conclusion that was written rather than twisting it to make something of it that is negative that wasn't intended.

Consequently, you're the one who inferred the beginnings of the company should not be dated to 1921 as the article says; not I.

If you don't agree w/ their assessment, it's not me you have an argument with but them.

--

Reply to
dpb

C'mon, guys. This horse has been dead for days now.

-- Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear. -- Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Who knows? Maybe it will be a paint job. About two years ago, during the depth of the (first) recession, Grizzly introduced a line of power tools called Polar Bear. When introduced they appeared to be pretty much the same stuff as some of their other tools, but white with special markings. I spoke to a sales rep in Springfield when I bought my Polar Bear 15" surface planer and he told me they were, in fact, nearly identical. However my planer did have a nicer switch mast to go with the paint; and it was on sale at about $200 off the price of its green cousin. The rep said without shame it was a marketing scheme to combine paint with a few changed features and a sale price to stimulate sales. He also said it worked very well for them.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Nothing logical about your assumptions. They are assumptions on your part that you have put forth, not stated anywhere in the article.

You are reading in what you would like to believe, NOT what is written.

I have done nothing but state EXACTLY what is stated in the article, NOT making assumptions, as you are:

~ The ONLY thing stated in the article about the date 1921 is that he was in the lumber and timber business.

~ The date of the founding of "Powermatic" is clearly stated as 1928.

Everything else is a figment of your imagination.

Live with it ...

Reply to
Swingman

On 6/3/2012 9:14 AM, Swingman wrote: ...

It's also Powermatic's imagination, then.

Complain to them, not me.

--

Reply to
dpb

Now we're getting somewhere ... precisely my point all along. :)

Reply to
Swingman

How's that? You claim there's something wrong; I'm quite happy (in fact I like attribution to the founder's vision) to have the roots attributed to the actual beginnings of the products instead of some artificial business name.

As I say, if you think the exposition isn't accurate or is misleading, ask them to clarify it and see where you get with that in discrediting the information as written.

Otherwise, go away...

Reply to
dpb

Yes, _you_ ... but we already decided that above.

If _you_ can't stand the heat, Bubba ...

Reply to
Swingman

Huh, huh ... the article be > Festool - 1925 > Powermatic - 1928

Some of us will continue to cuss, fuss and discuss things woodworking, from the finer points of making zero clearance inserts, to pointing out inconsistencies in a tool company's advertising and logo; if anyone has a problem with that in any manner, they should either hit the next key, or decline to comment on the subject.

Reply to
Swingman

Youse guys have had a dozen (or more) posts batted back and forth on the propaganda issue for days now.

Pointing out the obvious, eh?

Just sayin...

-- Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear. -- Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Obviously not to everyone ...

Reply to
Swingman

You have an uncanny proficiency of pointing out the obvious.

Just sayin....

Reply to
Leon

On 6/3/2012 9:48 AM, Swingman wrote: ...

_I'M_ comfy... :)

Reply to
dpb