Power tools: What to buy?

Bandsaws aren't much smaller than table saws. The "saw" part is pretty small, but if you're trying to make it into a table saw replacement, you start needing that big table to support the workpiece.

As a substitute for a table saw, I'd want _at_least_ an 18" bandsaw. Now plenty of people can afford these, or the space for them, but they're not a budget item.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

oops, I am getting more confuse than I first started. Surely there must be simple list of advantages and disadvantages among the different saws. Scroll, Jig, circular, and band and TABLE (what is this?) If a biginner got to choose, ok, two saws, which two, and what power should he aquire? "Buy the best you can afford?" (I assume all brands are almost made equal if price and power are in the same order.)

How is a 9 " circular saw and a 700 watt jig saw (Bosch 1590 ) combination sounds? The circular saw to go straight, and the jig to go crooket.

Is my Hitachi 9" circular fitted onto Triton 2000 same as a table saw?

Reply to
chinkc

To some extent it may be safer as far as kickback. Couple of weeks ago I had the bandsaw grab a piece of wood I was cutting. It bent the blade, bent the insert and scared the crap out of me more than the tablsaw ever did. My tablesaw has a guard in place most of the time and I use push sticks etc. The bandsaw can have 6" of blade exposed and I'm moving the work around with my hands. If it can resaw a piece of 6" oak, it can lop off a finger.

Theory, yes. Take a simple dado. It may take two or three passes with a router versus one over a dado blade in the saw. How about a dado or rabbet on an angle?

Most of us have some combination. No one tool is bets for everything.

I don't own a jointer yet. IMO, the planer is more useful if you only have one tool, but other will say the opposite. I can easily buy jointed wood, or use a shimmed sled on the planer easier than I can get wood thicknessed on the spot when I need it. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

chinkc asks:

Why does there have to be? Different saws have different purposes, usually stated in any tool book or article.

What does that beginner want to do? It makes one helluva lot of difference.

And no, all brands are not almost made equal if price and power are the same.

Carpenter's tools. Good ones, but not true woodworking tools as the only saws in a shop.

9" circular? Anyway, it's not the same as a table saw unless you like a hard to adjust, low powered unit. I've got no idea what kind of 9" blades are available, either, but around here, none, so you'd be SOL there, too.

Charlie Self "When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary." Thomas Paine

Reply to
Charlie Self