Portable Vise?

I had a co-worker, who knows I'm an "aspiring woodworker", come up to me and ask if in any of my woodworking magazines I had seen a plan for making a shop vise "portable". He apparently remembered seeing a plan once in which some sort of base with wheels was attached to a shop vise so that you could move the whole unit around on a workbench (which he needs for a specific purpose). I suspect something like this would be easy enough to make without plans, but I was curious to know if anyone recalled this type of plan appearing in a woodworking magazine.

Thanks, PJ

P.S. I searched for this information on Google, Google Groups (this newsgroup), as well as "Rick's Magazine Index"

but came up dry in every instance.

Reply to
PJ

I made a leg vise portable by attaching a board(that could be clamped to a workbench) to the back with a large hinge. It's made from oak pallet runners.

Lawrence L'Hote

Yeah, it was a Popular Woodworking mag I think -- it's sitting on my sink at home. I'll respond when I get home and give you the issue #.

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Idaho

Did you ever find the issue?

PJ

Reply to
PJ

Actually it was from Wood Magazine:

It was called: "best-ever Workshops". What you're looking for is on page

  1. Here's a picture of the project (to see if this was the right one):

    think you can order this issue, check out
    (it was listed on the front cover).

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Idaho

This might be a duplicate -- I posted it using my news server and it seems to not be downloading new messages right now so I don't know if it got out or not. So I'm reposting via google:

Actually it was from Wood Magazine:

It was called: "best-ever Workshops". What you're looking for is on page 42. It looks like it was a Jan/Feb 2003 issue (I think, it doesn't say -- just says "Display until Mar 3, 2003" on the UPC code box).

Here's a picture of the project (to see if this was the right one):

think you can order this issue, check out
(it was listed on the front cover).

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Idaho

Thanks for the picture. I actually have that issue. I'll show it to my co-worker and see if that's what he was thinking about.

Thanks, PJ

> I think you can order this issue, check out
(it was

Reply to
PJ