Please help: fixing defects in maple plywood

snipped-for-privacy@d28g2000yqf.googlegroups.com:

Yep, epoxy would be much better for restoration and structural work.

Rather than structural my uses are more mundane, skinning CDX plywood for waterproofing and smoothing for cheap outdoor plaques and signs.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

B:

That's where this grade of stuff fails: the price doesn't underwrite what you can charge--performance isn't cost effective. Also, with the mandatory delays for curing and reapplication, you there better have something else immediately productive to do while you wait.

What I'm thinking they call Bondo "reapair compound" (probably off a bit on that exactly) at HD is good stuff. It takes a quality primer better than the epoxy putty which accepts paint best after an outside priming with liquid epoxy.

But if you have a sizzling day, I'd think about undercoating any Bondo you use with laminating polyester catalyzed with MEKP. It markedly improves the grab of the Bondo putty and kicks off like bacon on the sun when the mercury peaks. As long as you keep the resin cool, it lasts a long time. and the amount needed to seal an spot patch makes it go a long way.Can't say I fancy the smell of MEKP though. Won't say it's anything but unforgettable.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

------------------------------------ SFWIW, Bondo (polyester resin thickened with talc) has no adhesive properties, but depends on the mechanical bonding between the wood and the Bondo.

OTOH, epoxy IS an adhesive.

In the BTDT category, totally lost track how many sheets of CDX I sealed with epoxy in the process of building a boat, but bought 2 units which is 140 sheets.

Based on the above, will suggest the following.

Sand the CDX with a ROS and 40 grit discs (Klingspor has them).

Using a throw away 2" chip brush, coat all CDX surfaces with laminating epoxy.

I usually apply 2 coats, lightly sanding between coats.

You have just built the proverbial brick out house, but you still have a problem.

Epoxy requires UV protection so if used outside, with need to top coat with a UV varnish or paint.

BTW, to fill voids, add micro-balloons to laminating epoxy to make your own putty as needed.

Last time I checked, a 30# bag (4 cubic ft) of dicaperl (HP500) was less than $30.00 and will last a long time.

Have fun.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett