Planing 3/4" Stock Cherry

I'm going to make some 1/4" edge capping for 18mm baltic birch plywood on a cabinet I'm finishing. Is there a danger in attempting to plane 3/4" cherry stock down to 18mm. Basically I need to take off 1/32". I'm going to use a

12.5" delta portable planer to do this. I just don't want to screw up an $80 board so I'm wondering if there are other options in making capping. Thx.
Reply to
Alan Smithee

If you use enough that snipe will not matter, it should be okay. Put your mind to rest by trying a sample piece first.

Reply to
Toller

If I understand this correctly, you are going to plane down the board to 18 mm thick, then cut it to 1/4" for the capping. 18 mm is no problem, just do it in a couple of passes to take off that 1/32. Allow some extra length in case of snipe.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

My source says to consider sticking the trim to a carrier board with double stick.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

thx all.

Reply to
Alan Smithee

Personally I would consider attaching it oversized and using a block plane or a router with a flush trim bit to take the 1/32" off afterwards. If you plane it to the exact thickness before attaching you leave yourself no room for error - either yours or the plywoods. Dave Hall

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -- G.B. Shaw

Reply to
Dave Hall

I'm with Dave. Leave it 1/32 proud. You can even use a cabinet scraper to take that much off.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Cabinet scraper. Not a bad idea. I can't use a router because of the nature of the layout of the cabinet plus I don't trust myself to hold up the weight of the router.

Reply to
Alan Smithee

Cabinet scrapers qualify as Wonderful Things, in my opinion.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone