Ping Robert (nailshooter)

I have a picture of the completed Jakes (lawn) chairs on my index page.

BillinDetroit

efgh

Reply to
bob kater

It's displaying in Firefox 2.0.0.4, Netscape 8.0 and Opera 9.0.

What browser are you guys using?

Bill

Reply to
BillinDetroit

page.http://nmwoodworks.com>> Bill

Bill - the chairs look great! Did you wind up using the Impervo on them? How did you like it? How did you apply it?

Also... how comfortable ARE those chairs compared a garden variety Adirondack?

Good job, buddy.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

page.http://nmwoodworks.com>>>> Bill

Yes ... that's the Impervo. Once I got a sense for thinning it, it sprayed very nicely ... and the Wagner HVLP worked great. The included viscosity cup was pretty useless with the Killz primer, so I didn't even get it out with the Impervo.

I've done a TINY bit of spraying in the past and the Wagner would keep a wet line just about as fast as I could move my arm. The Impervo leveled out great and has since dried to a a very nice hardness.

I'm going to try the Coronado next time as the Impervo was $12 more per gallon and these chairs take a surprising amount of paint.

Don't have much time in a garden variety Adirondack, but both the seat curvature and the back curvature make for some downright pleasant sitting in the Jakes Chair. At 27", the seat is wide enough to allow for a few extra dumplings or a couple of squirmy grandkids.

I can say thins, though ... a neighbor came over, sat in one before painting and ordered two. That's pretty comfortable in my book!

Bill

Reply to
BillinDetroit

I tried IE6 last night at home and it wasn't working but when I got into work this morning using the same browser, it worked.

Reply to
efgh

Very cool and at first I thought that they were made of something like TREX. This past week I saw similar chairs made out of the man made material in bright colors like you chairs. Like regular TREX that comes in natural earth tone colors, the colors were all the way through the material. They were a in red, green, blue , yellow , brown. All held together with stainless steel screws. Very comfortable and sturdy. Have you seen the man made material in those colors?

Reply to
Leon

That's a head-scratcher -- I didn't make any changes in that time. I know that the shopping cart database was lagging last night. Possibly the ISP is enlarging again and you just caught them at an awkward moment.

Bill

Reply to
BillinDetroit

Thanks Leon.

No, I haven't seen the TREX. I just wanted something bright that would stand out and this color was on the chip chart. I'm going to make a couple more chairs in a couple weeks and then take a shot at designing a table to go with them. I've got a couple ideas kicking around in the old bean. I think I can make the whole set very appealing.

Bill

Reply to
BillinDetroit

The bright colors are attractive. I am not sure what I saw was actually TREX but it was some kind of product like that. I think the color going all the way through certainly world have its advantages in longetivity and initial built time.

Reply to
Leon

out and this color was on the >chip chart. I'm going to make a couple more chairs in a >couple weeks and then take a shot at designing a

bean. I think I can make the whole set >very appealing.

You will love the cost of Impervo or Corotile if you take a look at the board foot price of TREX and its cousins. OUCH!

I had an acquintance that used ot build decks and he used his cutoffs from a couple of decks to make some furniture. It worked well for backs and seats, but for anything that required it to be turned on edge (like sides, chair backs, legs, etc.) he said it wasn't satisfactory as it wasn't rigid enough. And the hotter the weather was, the less rigid the chairs became.

Just my 0.02.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

stand out and this color was on the >chip chart. I'm going to make a couple more chairs in a >couple weeks and then take a shot at designing a

bean. I think I can make the whole set >very appealing.

But if you have an invasive grass it makes great flower bed edging.

Mark

Reply to
Markem

Hah! Never even thought of that. I'll bet it does. Think I'm gonna tuck that one away.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

stand out and this color was on the >chip chart. I'm going to make a couple more chairs in a >couple weeks and then take a shot at designing a

bean. I think I can make the whole set >very appealing.

I was afraid that, being so bright, I'd run into flack over the color ... but a couple of people have spontaneously remarked that this is a great color choice for such furniture.

The Impervex dried beautifully. Smooth, glossy and hard as rock (well, whats a Friday morning without a little hyperbole?). Long term, I think it might prove to be a sound choice. Even though just a single gallon of the stuff makes my wallet bleed. :-)

One thing is certain: I'm convinced that HVLP is the ONLY way to go on a project like this. I can easily see it taking an hour or more, per piece (4) / per coat (4) to paint this with a brush. And it is unlikely that,

16+ hours later, I would have as high quality of finish as I got in about 5 minutes per coat / per part with the el-cheapo Wagner HVLP gun.
Reply to
BillinDetroit

A couple of summers ago I was at Lake Tahoe, and on one of their observation areas (for the spectacular sunsets) they had a lot of wood deck chairs and tables. They didn't mix up the colors when setting out the pieces, so it didn't look trashy. They had medium blue, white, red, yellow and dark green. Buddy, they looked great!

a Friday morning without a little hyperbole?). >Long term, I think it might prove to be a sound choice. Even >though just a single gallon of the stuff makes my wallet bleed. :-)

Good material is always expensive. BUT, hopefully (fingers crossed here!) the extra $$ is worth it. I look at any coating within these four parameters:

1) ease of application 2) durability 3) adhesion of susequent coats of the same material 4) cost

But being in "bidniss" I like things that hit #4 pretty hard, too. If you want, I can get the Corotile industrial base (they sell it on quarts, not just gallons) numbers for you as it is a little cheaper than the Impervo.

If would like, we can compare mix notes and maybe I can help you make the Impervo really sing with some thinning and hardening mixes.

project like this. I can easily see it taking an hour or > more, per piece (4) / per coat (4) to paint this with a brush. >And it is unlikely that, 16+ hours later, I would have as high >quality of finish as I got in about 5 minutes per coat / per part >with the el-cheapo Wagner HVLP gun.

Now you're on the right track! Quality and speed are the very essence of successful manufacturing. And take my word for it; you will just get better and faster at application of the finish.

I have some previous posts on how to set up the HVLP gun, and if you are interested they are still in the archives.

Good for you!

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

: 64.12.138.88 does not like recipient. Remote host said: 550 MAILBOX NOT FOUND Giving up on 64.12.138.88.
Reply to
BillinDetroit

Bill... the email name is a holdover from having been harvested (you've seen it here, no doubt) by a bot and have my real address smeared around. The downside of the internet I guess.

Anyway, catch me at

snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobalthetrash.net

Take out "thegarbage" and "thetrash" and you will have the correct email address. If you still have problems, ping me here and I can hit you back on your website.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

My bad, Robert. I already HAD your good address ... but managed to overlook it. I'll take another crack at it in a few minutes.

Bill

Reply to
BillinDetroit

A conventional gun would do the project in the same time since it's all about getting the right amount of coverage in each coat, but it would certainly create more overspray... waste. At the prices of some paints (as you experienced), waste is a very real consideration. Either beats the tar out of brushing.

Reply to
Mike Marlow