Overhang on steps

Is there a necessity for the tread overhang on stairs/steps? If so, what is it?

nb

Reply to
notbob

Yes, there is. According to the books I read it's so that you don't hit your heel or toes against the riser.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Check out the site stairways.org. They have a visual interpretation of the recent stair codes with sketches and dimensions.

Reply to
dustinpockets

From the IRC

A nosing not less than 3/4 inch (19 mm) but not more than 11/4 inches (32 mm) shall be provided on stairways with solid risers. The greatest nosing projection shall not exceed the smallest nosing projection by more than 3/8 inch (9.5 mm) between two stories, including the nosing at the level of floors and landings. Exceptions: 1. A nosing is not required where the tread depth is a minimum of 11 inches (279 mm).

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

snipped-for-privacy@bb.nothome.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bb.nothome.com:

I've found it's easier to get a dolly (hand truck) up the stairs when there's a overhang. It's something about pivot points and other such magic.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

The riser adds more strength if it is closer to the middle of the step where most of the weight is applied.

Reply to
Leon