OT: World's biggest Photovoltaic farm in Sarnia

It's the average according to the stats I read at Weather.com.

Stratford gets 175 to 275 inches of snowfall per year.

OK, it may be, kiddingly, called that by you frozen northerners, and only as a comparison to the double-digit sub-zero temps the rest of the country has in the winter.

But show me a growing banana tree anywhere in Sarnia, in the open and without winter greenhousing, and I'll buy you a brand spankin' new

5x30 domino biscuit for your very own.

-- Most people assume the fights are going to be the left versus the right, but it always is the reasonable versus the jerks. -- Jimmy Wales

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Banana BELT, silly. we buy bananas and weave belts from driend banana skins...shheeesh!

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0-- Jimmy Wales

In that order.

Reply to
Robatoy

Man, I just can't wrap my head around bananas and beer, eh, hoser?

Not quite, Lefty.

-- Most people assume the fights are going to be the left versus the right, but it always is the reasonable versus the jerks. -- Jimmy Wales

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The only part of the chart that really means anything is the mean daily and median daily snow depth - given in CM. That is 8 and 9 cm in Jan and Feb,4 in Dec, and 2 in March. 2.5cm is one inch, so Ontario's Banana belt has, on the ground, a "mean average" of just over 3 inches of snow on the ground in the snowiest months of Jan and Feb.

Reply to
clare

...and that usually comes in one load.

Reply to
Robatoy

Huh? Monthly data shows 32,26,19,5,0,0,0,0,0,2,10,30, or 124cm.

1240mm/25.4 = 48.8189 inches per year as an average snowfall in Sarnia. 49 inches of snow does not a banana belt make.

Literal mode off, I understand that it's your comparative nickname for the place, OK?

No biscuit for you!

-- Most people assume the fights are going to be the left versus the right, but it always is the reasonable versus the jerks. -- Jimmy Wales

Reply to
Larry Jaques

And that's a light snow in Kitchener/waterloo, and a "dusting" in Stratford. (or Chesley/Hanover/ Mt Forest/ Molesworth area)

Reply to
clare

OK - look at the average temperature - and just think what happens to snow when it is above zero - or even when it IS zero with strong sunlight. 20 out of 30 days have measurable bright sunshine according to the same site.

And I don't have to go by the weather channel. I live in southwestern Ontario, and used to have to drive to Sarnia/Windsor?Leamington as well as London/Stratford/Mitchell and Chesley/Hanover/Mt Forest from my home in Kitchener/Waterloo/Elmira area.

Not out of the ordinary 2 or 3 days after a "heavy snow" in the sarnia/windsor/leamington area to have virtually no snow on the ground. Wife grew up down there. I remember times when there were snow drifts over the roof of the Toyota dealership in Stratford - the guys would park their snowmobiles on the roof a week after a storm. To the Waterloo side of Elmira we get off pretty easy, most of the time, but just to the west, out towards Listowel, it is often a different story.

Within 6 miles of the lakes the snow is also pretty light, generally speaking -but it dumps pretty heavy by about Wingham, Ripley,Bluevale areas.

The weather up here, below the 49th, can be really strange.

Sarnia is farther south than all of New England, virtually all of New York, Chicago, and virtually all of Oregon, South Dakota, and Wyoming. and all of France and Romania. Nestled between the lakes it is almost mediteranean.

In the summer the humidity, along with temps in the high 30s C (90sF) yeilds Humidex ratings approaching 120F.

More important for a solar installation, look at the hours of bright sunshine. The same phenomenon that keeps most of the snow in 6 miles or so gives the "sunparlour" area some of the longest stretches of clear sunny weather in the province.(summer and winter).

Reply to
clare

I get it. Sarnia is the "Vista" of the GWN.

A friend of mine lived in Philly and traveled up to Canada often. He'd be driving in sunny weather when he hit Buffalo and the lights went out. Instant blizzard and lake effect snowstorm with 6' drifts in one day.

You really didn't need that "below the 49th" limiter in there.

Sounds nice for a northern clime.

We call that "hot and muggy" here.

Bueno, bwana. I guess it is viable. Go ahead and tell them that I said it's OK to build, will ya?

-- Most people assume the fights are going to be the left versus the right, but it always is the reasonable versus the jerks. -- Jimmy Wales

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Some days, on this mountain, the snowplow comes three times on our dead-end little back street.

I am having culture shock from KW area.

Reply to
Josepi

------------------------------------- Hello snow belt where from Nov till May, you are up to your armpits in partly cloudy.

Some days the sun even shines.

---------------------------------

-------------------------------------- Pulled into Club Island in the Georgian Bay one August afternoon with a 27C temp reading.

Dropped the hook and over the side for a swim.

As the sun dropped, had some fried pike caught the previous day washed down with a few "Little Greenies".

Tough duty, but somebody had to do it

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

The symphony. The car show. The airport. Poking fun at the Cavaliers with the 20" rims and the coffee cans for exhausts. The Palace and the rock shows...lots to do in Detroit.... it's not all decayed.

Reply to
Robatoy

Where are you now??

Reply to
clare

Henry Ford Museum, Greenfield Village. Yankee Air Museum at Willow Run. in Novi; The Motorsports Museum & Hall of Fame.

Max

Reply to
Max

But did you go and see Red Green last night in Sarnia? That should have been a highlight on your social calendar.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Naaa... he has said a couple of funny things, but he's basically creating the wrong impression of who we are as a nation, that includes those Trailer Park idiots and that douchebag Celine Dijon[sic]. We have to be able to laugh at ourselves, but to do that, you have to be funny and Red Green's funny stopped after show # 3.... he ran out.

Reply to
Robatoy

Well it's not too often that you go off and say something that I just can't agree with, but you done did it right there pal! I've seen a ton of Red Green episodes and I don't ever recall thinking any of them were unfunny. Maybe not completely hilarious at every step and turn, but certainly enjoyable enough for me to sit through every episode I've ever taken the time to watch, and I don't like to sit still for very long.

Not sure I follow you on the "wrong impression of your nation" thing either... Every country has their buffoons, and I don't come away from the show thinking less of Canada just because Red made some crack about it, which I don't think is all that often anyway.

Reply to
Steve Turner

eh? ....and sorry, I didn't know Red Green was a comedian. Pat McKenna is funny though...up to a point. Angela and I attend many stand-up shows, sometimes she laugh uncontrollably and I sit there dead-pan, and sometimes it is the other way around.

Reply to
Robatoy

Base of Bruce Penn.

Reply to
Josepi

Its actually more than 4 times higher than that figure. The array itself is only 973,000 sq. mt.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi