OT: Roofing question 6 tab shingles

I realize this is pretty off topic but have always been impressed the with wide variety of knowledge possessed by the inhabitants hereabouts. I'm using some (really inexpensive closeout) 6 tab shingles to cover a storage shed I'm building. Each tab is rounded giving a scalloped appearance and they look great on the shed. But I can't figure out what to do about covering the ridge. Since each tab in only 6 inches wide, I can't use it like a standard 3 tab shingle, that is, cut into thirds, turned sideways and overlapped along the peak. Other than buying some matching 3 tab shingles or going with some kind of ridge vent system does anyone have any suggestions on how to use these 6 tabbers to cover the ridge? Any help or url referrals appreciated. I would'nt be opposed to a bit of whimsy on the shed since it may actually become a playhouse later. It's an 8 by 10 saltbox design. Best regards to all on this fine day. Mike in Arkansas

Reply to
JMWEBER987

Grandpa

I'm not sure how deep your scallops are but this might work...

Treat them almost like 3-tabs. Just cut each shingle in half so there are

3 scallops per, turn them 90 and nail them that way. Optionally you could cut some in half (3 scallops per) and some in thirds (2 scallops per) and then alternate them down the ridgeline to fill in each others gaps.

/me is glad he stuck with plain ol' 3-tabs when building his shop.

Reply to
Walt

Thanks Walt and Grandpa for your input. The scallops are cut back 5 inches just like a 3 tab so I wouldn't be comfortable using them as you suggest Walt. I went back to the yard I got these at and found some matching 3 tabs also at $5.00 a bundle. Got one bundle and I'll use them for the ridge. Would have finished tonight but my knee started popping everytime I took a step so decided to stop while I could still walk:) I love getting older. Some damn new thing every week seems like. Oh well, beats the alternative. Thanks again.

Reply to
JMWEBER987