OT: Les Ford. RIP

Indeed, on the one wing are all those folks who take Democracy Now and Daily Kos and Michael Moore and so on seriously, and on the other wing are the folks who treat World Net Daily and Limbaugh and Newsmax seriously--it's a scary situation when so many voters *choose* to be misinformed.

As for Les Paul, hats off to him, another giant gone. His less "edited" interviews are fun, he was a highly opinionated fellow who wasn't afraid to use salty language, but of course most publications cleaned up his remarks before printing them.

Reply to
DGDevin

Wow.... missed that part of the story.

Missed the part of about an arrest, too.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Got to admit that the article was very well written. ... a complete unknown

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I wuz laughing at the refs. "...Willie Nelson (IRS)" Rightfully, more notorious than any of his songs. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

I don't understand your comment, but from the cops point of view, when they see an elderly white man meandering through a minority neighborhood, they immediately think there's one of two possibilities:

a) He's tryin' to score some smack,or b) He's suffering from Alzheimer's.

In the instant case, it could have been either.

Reply to
HeyBub

Or what happened to "He's out taking a walk." What bothers me about the incident as reported in the press is that the police took him any where. Last I knew you don't need to have ID in the US and beyond that they had nothing on him...

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

A clear case of "profiling" ... where is Quannel 10, Jesse, or the Rev Al, when you need 'em?

Lack of ID these days is apparently due cause for detention ... it ain't supposed to be, and you think it's bad now ...

Reply to
Swingman

"Ihre Papiere bitte!"

Anathema to free peoples everywhere, everywhen.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

What'd they charge him with? Assault with a dead weapon?

nb

Reply to
notbob

And even when you *have* id, you can get screwed. Guess you heard about the Canadian woman visiting her mother in Kenya when she started to head back home, Kenya border security said her lips didn't match her passport picture and detained her.

make a long story even longer, Canadian embassy officials cancelled her passport, she spent 8 days in jail and then was detained in a security area for three months.

Finally, after a DNA test confirmed her Canadian status as being the mother of a 12 year old here in Canada, she was allowed to come home.

Despite my occasional bitching about some USA practices, you guys wouldn't put up with that shit happening to a US citizen for a second. Our Canadian government consists of wimps and mouthpieces with all the clout and aggressiveness of a six year old. Trust our vaunted government to turn Canada in a world joke.

Reply to
Upscale

New Jersey law requires one to present proof of existence when requested by law enforcement officials.

Reply to
HeyBub

Can you provide the statute to that effect?

I'm not questioning your word but it has been my experience that when someone says "such and such state requires by law" without quoting the statute they are often mistaken.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Proof of existence? Just breathe on the "authority."

Reply to
Charlie Self

"After news broke that music legend Bob Dylan was picked up by a New Jersey cop who failed to recognize him, President Barack Obama has invited the duo to the White House for what aides are calling a 'bong summit.' "

Reply to
HeyBub

I surprised at you posting a link to one of the few objective news sources in the USA. :-)

Luigi

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

I report, you decide.

Reply to
HeyBub

No, I can't. And it's my error.

In Hiibel vs. Nevada, the United States Supreme Court held that failure to identify is tantamount to obstruction of justice, interference with a criminal investigation, and just plain anti-social. BUT. The state has to have such a requirement in its Penal Code.

Evidently New Jersey doesn't have such a statute.

Shhh! Keep it between us.

Reply to
HeyBub

Back to the original observation that two young cops didn't recognize him. Ok, definite possibility. But, he was taken to the police station where he was identified by his staff management. What about older cops? Weren't there any older cops at the station who could recognize him?

I know many cops are pretty single minded, but there has to be some that like music and have interests outside the job.

Reply to
Upscale

Quote from the article:

"The officers asked Dylan, 68, to accompany them back to the Ocean Place Resort and Spa, where the performers were staying. Once there, tour staff vouched for Dylan."

Doesn't read like there was any police station (or arrest/charges) involved. Reads more like "They asked, he cooperated and that was the end of it." If a certain professor in recent history had done the same, there would have been one less beer-bust in the White House, and a LOT less carping and crowing in the press.

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

Right. Contrast this with the actions of Professor Henry Gates in Cambridge. Those who came of age during the '60's - like Dylan - were brought up to respect and trust the cops.

Breeding shows.

Reply to
HeyBub