OT: eHow Copyright Infringed Me

Doesn't have to say it. It's copyright protected automatically when published. It's US law. See: The Digital Millennium Copyright Act of

1998
Reply to
GarageWoodworks

"PDQ" wrote: ================ Actually, the quote is: "What's mine is mine and what's yours is ours." =================

Always thought it was ,"What's mine is mine and what's yours is negotiable."

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Correct.

Not quite correct. It's copyright protected automatically when *created*.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Also see:

's only allowed under what's called "fair use". Non-profit purposes. The author profits, so "fair use" is out the window.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Go look again, Karl.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Follow up and don't let the a**hole get away with it. Several years ago, I began to get emails from people telling me a creep in WI was selling the plans to my Jake's Chair, despite it being specifically prohibited. I wrote him and a friend spent the $20 to get a copy of "his" plans for me from the eBay site. All the plans were was a poor quality copy of the drawings I had posted for the chairs, coupled with a bad photograph of his own copies. The ass&ole's reply was, "sue me or complain to eBay and I'll tie you up in court forever." Fortunately, there were enough friends around that they posted horrible comments about quality and authenticity on eBay that he gave up, finally.

Reply to
Nonny

You're welcome - this might be even quicker:

Michael A. Straessle 103 Hwy 89 South Mayflower, AR 72106 501-744-8204

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

There doesn't have to be a notice in the US. It is a given that anything one does is copyrighted unless one explicitly _waives_ copyright.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Google you name and check with 411.com for starters. You'd be amazed at how much information is available. Now that you know where the guy lives, go to zillow.com and see his house and find out what he pays in RE taxes.

In your situation, I'd also send him a certified letter about the copyright.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yes he should have. I hope you have a registered copyright; i.e., one paid and registered with the Library of Congress.

The difference between registered and unregistered copyrights is that you do not need to prove damages with a registered one, only that an infringement has occurred. That infringement alone carries hefty statutory penalties; any actual damage beyond that amount can also be recovered. If unregistered, one has to prove infringement *and* monetary damages.

Reply to
dadiOH

?
Reply to
Swingman

FYI...

even though "copyrights" is misspelled, it's a pretty good article :)

Reply to
dadiOH

Bt unless the copyright is registered, collecting damages is not likely.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Exactly.

In the new Amerika, you guys gotta learn to share!

Reply to
Jack Stein

I have a friend that embeds a VISIBLE copyright on every photo he posts. He also puts info "inside" the jpeg.

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

How did you rig that little trick. I assume if people view on you web-site they get the real image, but via link in someone else's they get that. I have a friend that has constant issues with people swiping her images.

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

(snip)

This kind of stuff really annoys me as well. All he had to do is send a quick email asking if he could use the photo because he was writing an article and it was a great example, looked perfect. etc. I do not mean to mitigate the legality involved but how freakin lazy and rude can you be.

It does question the authenticity of the entire article. Did he write that or cut and paste it as well.

Larry C

Reply to
Larry C

My HTML ("web page") file contains the URL (symbolic internet address) of the images to be displayed. When my server log indicates a level of abuse that exceeds my comfort level, I change the image file name and update the URL in the web page to point to the new name.

Normally, after that the server would report "file not found" (status

404) when someone presents a request for the old URL - but I created the file you saw with a graphics editor and gave it the old name of the image file, so that people would see that instead of the "broken link" symbol.

It's a PIA to do because it takes up time I'd rather spend on other things - and it clutters up my server with extra image files - so I've only done it a few times.

I've been on the verge of writing a program to periodically go through my entire web site and diddle the file names, but haven't felt that I could take the time to do that without hurting other projects.

If they're only linking to her images, this approach may work - but if they're delivering copies of her images from their server, it might be time to seek compensation.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Bottom of the page: "(Karl A. Cailllouet ©1996)"

Maybe he got some scruples. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-