Opinion sought on moulding cutterhead for table saw

Hi, I'm considering a moulding cutterhead for my Delta TS. There are a few models on the market by Delta, Craftsman, Molder Magic. Has anyone used this? What's your opinion on it?

Thanks.

Reply to
TP

I don't own one but have witnessed an indepth demo of the Magic Molder and was impressed with the design and results. Way ahead of the others you mentioned IMO. If you need such an animal it works as advertised.

Reply to
Pounds on Wood

Before I set up a router table I used the Craftsman model. Found it quite good - no problems at all. Kind of scary the first time though with that big chunk of metal whirring away.

Vic

Reply to
Vic Baron

TP,

I have the Craftsman and got it to make about 40 bead-board panels for a kitchen remodel. It worked well - just hone the molding blades first before using it. If you plan on using it a lot (say a light production shop) then you would probably be better off with a different manufacture. Most molding knives for the Craftsman go for under $15 for a set of 3 as I recall. Mine came with a small selection of blades but I've only ever used the ones for making the bead-board.

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

I needed to make some stock for rubber stamp holder for the wife. The only way I could come up with with the equipment I have is a moulding cutterhead for the TS. I have the set of cutters that are rounded on the ends. I'd say it works pretty well, but it was a bit scary to fire up.

todd

Reply to
todd

I know what you mean. I bought a 5" moulding cutterhead with a set of 3 bits some 20 years ago for my tablesaw and I've never had the nerve to put it on and fire it up.

Reply to
Upscale

Reply to
thai_tx

I have a Craftsman set hanging on the wall with a "DO NOT USE!" on it. At least not on a radial arm saw. One of the blades buried itself in the garage door when a piece of wood bucked, even though the anti-kickback device was down. Scared the CRAP out of me!

Reply to
Woodhead

"Woodhead" wrote in news:8f678$45030250$438cac38$ snipped-for-privacy@ALLTEL.NET:

So... it's still there? Why not throw it out?

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Conversation piece of course.

On one of my bulletin boards I've got a cheque sitting there for $0.05 that some lawyers sent me when I transferred to one of their members starting his own practice. It usually makes for great ridicule about lawyers when I point it out to people.

Reply to
Upscale

I too have the Craftsman and used it to make my own bead-board wainscoting for a bathroom remodel. Worked like a champ. I also found that touching up (lapping) the flat sides of the cutters on a fine stone helped maintain the crispness of the beads.

I does make quite a whirring noise, but then again, so does my dado set...

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Forgot to mention that when using these molding heads, the cutters are only going to extend above the table surface at most 1/4" or so. It's not like it's fully extended and taking big-honkin' bites out of the wood - it's only scraping off the profile.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Do you find (depending on the wood) that you have to take it off in multiple passes or can you do it all in one bite?

Reply to
Upscale

I have the same craftsman set and I don't think I would ever take everything but the smallest amount of material in one pass.

I picked up all the cutterheads at a Sears that was liquidating them.

Gary

Reply to
gkemper

Upscale, I think it would certainly depend on the machining characteristics of the wood. I was using the bead profile on MDF and clear pine and was able to form the whole bead in one pass for both materials. Occasionally, the pine exhibited a small bit of fuzzing where, I assume, the grain was changing - easy to clean up with a 180 or

220 sandpaper.

I guess my answer is, "it depends".

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC