oak on pine veneering

Strange question (to me at least) I'm redoing some baseboard trim around the house and have a lot of oak left over from other projects. The leftover wood is resaw slabs about

1/4" thick and I'd like to "veneer" this to some pine (or plywood) to build its thickness back to 3/4". I'd use some 3/4" square oak on the edge for meat to mill the profile into. Will I run into any problems with cracking if I only veneer the one side? If I need to do both sides It'll probably be cheaper and easier to just use solid oak. I just don't want the wood to turn ugly when the humidity in the house swings from the current 6% to the summer 70%.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Rowen

The usual practice when veneering is to veneer both sides to prevent the veneer from twisting the substrate, which it will do. However, the unseen veneered side is usually done with a less expensive wood species.

Reply to
Mike G

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 15:29:38 -0700, Mike G wrote (in message ):

It seems that oak and pine have quite different expansion ratios so cupping may ideed occur. I guess plywood substraight might be better (a little cupping would be fine). I probably will make a test piece and subject it to the extremes.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce