Norm's highboy

I only saw the first episode of Norm's highboy - say what you will on his craftsmanship, but this thing is fantastic! Looks well made and certainly at a high level of art.

Anyone else build one these before? Norm at least breaks down the elements so they are understandable.

I recall a FWW article a couple of years ago, a bunch of woodworkers in the Maryland/DC area hired a well known woodworker to come and teach them how to build a highboy or perhaps a secretary in the Federal style. Some where much further along then other when he stopped coming, but I could see how these pieces are complicated to make.

The two art critics that showed Norm the different styles of highboys said that in the colonial times, it would have taken a shop about 3 weeks to build. Guess when you got a small team working, that's possible. Me, I would expect to be done in 3 years, at my rate of completion.

Comments?

MJ Wallace

Reply to
mjwallace

Can't be any good because:

It's made by a no-talent bum with power tools.

It has brads holding things in inconspicuous places.

It's finished with Minwax products.

Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

Reply to
George

Uh huh. So George, when is _your_ show on?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I think it was George's sense of humour.

It's different. :-)

Reply to
WillR

O GEORGE>>>THEM ARE FIGHTEN WORDS>>>>I hope that your remarks are made in jest and tongue-n-cheek?

Reply to
aswr

Dave, you need to make up a new comeback. When you get wind of someone criticizing a show, you retort with the "when is _your_ show on". Obviously George doesn't have a show. You should see a professional about your passive aggressive tendencies.

"Quote me as saying I was misquoted" - Groucho Marx

Reply to
Geoff

I think this might be twice, the other one being Roy, weeks or months ago.

Well, maybe George does have a show, who knows. Sure, some of the stuff Norm does drives me nuts as well (staining cherry, FFS? What's that all about?), but he's a reasonably good craftsman, a good teacher, and is probably the reason that more than a few of us are doing woodworking.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Tongue-in-cheek? I don't thinks so -- unless he got his tang toungled up.

Reply to
WillR
[snip]>

Burn it with the propane torch, wire brush it off, and cover it with polyurethane...

:-) j4

Reply to
jo4hn

Sure, some of the stuff

Not to mention, he's not an obtuse, ill-tempered spoutoff.

Reply to
George

From what little I've seen of Norm's stuff, it will be good, but if he ruins it by tarring and feathering it, as he seems prone to doing, then he deserves to be varnished with the same brush.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Unfortunately PBS here decided to go to fundraising instead of NYW, so all I got was the teaser.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

So, GEORGE is responsible for taking Norm off HGTV! The BUM!!!

Reply to
WoodyWoodpucker