Newbie router question

I was going to buy a 5/16 (cutter diameter) spiral upcut bit to cut some slots in plywood. I see some with 5/16 shanks for ~$15, and some with 1/2 shanks in $30-40 range. Could the 5/16 shank be used in a 1/4 collet? Thanks.

Troy

Reply to
tsw632

Let's see. 5/16 = 5 of the sixteenths. 1/4 = only 4 of the sixteenths. The size of the hole is only 4 of the sixteenths so unless you have a really big hammer, it won't fit. You need a collet with one more sixteenths in it. And no, I won't even joke about the 1/2" collet and duct tape.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Never heard of 5/16" bit or collets for that matter. 1/4" and 3/8" yes, but not in between. Do they actually exist or have I been living too sheltered a life?

Reply to
Upscale

They're probably metalworking cutters, which come in all shapes and sizes.

Reply to
mp

Clearly not a "Red Green" Fan. Hmmpphh !!!

Reply to
Will

I think some of the spiral bits were intended for other uses, such as milling machines. In the proper chuck or collet, they would be OK. Perhaps some of the industrial tools have other collets too.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

sixteenths.

sixteenths in it.

Reply to
tsw632

No. (Unless they spend a little time in the lathe first.)

However, a collet can be had to allow it to work in a 1/2 router.

Dave

TeamCasa

No.

Reply to
CW

They exist but they are not manufactured as router bits. The are made for milling aluminum.

Reply to
CW

absolutely they do exist, both the collets and the cutters. however, they aren't generally found on woodworking tools. my mill has available dozens of sizes of collets, and the cutters to match.

Reply to
bridger

Yes 5/16" exists and is a very common size. Leigh sell this bit for their jigs. Also, for those that use metric sized shanks, 8mm is extremely common. 8mm is within 1.5/10,000th of an inch of being 5/16".

8mm = 0.3149606299 inches. 5/16" = .315
Reply to
Leon

Actually, there is .00246" difference. 5/16" is .3125. This is enough difference I wouldn't interchange them.

sixteenths.

Reply to
CW

I stand corrected. But the Leigh site sells

Item 140-8, 170, and 170-C The shank diameter is listed as 8mm & 5/16".

Take a look.

Leon

Due to the design of most router collets, this is far to much variation to call interchangeable. Using collets everyday of all sizes and designs, I would stear clear of using something with that kind of mismatch in most collet designs. You may well get away with it but I wouldn't chance it.

Reply to
CW