Newbie questions about tung oil, wood dye, etc.

Adding thinner doesn't affect the drying time of the oil...the thinner evaporates long before the oil sets up. What it *does* do is thin it...helps it penetrate, helps avoid too heavy a coat, etc.

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Tyke wrote: If you have grain

It's this some sort of a joke? If so, I don't get it.

dave

Reply to
David

oil" aren't 100% tung oil -- nothing wrong with that but I want to go with 100% tung oil.

Okay, I purchased a random orbit sander and went over one side of one shelf with 60 grit followed by 100 and then 120 grit. This is already about as smooth as the other side of the shelf -- making me think that the room was originally sanded only to 150 grit. I've purchased 60,

100, 150, 240, 320, and 400 grit (and the sander came with one sheet of 120 grit). It will be interesting to see/feel the difference between the current finish and the 400 grit finish.

My next question, I'm getting lots of very fine dust in/on the wood. Is it okay to use water to get this off (after vacuuming) or do I use paint thinner as someone suggested? Is a tack cloth (which I'll buy tomorrow and have never seen) used last, or before the liquid?

Reply to
rbrandywine

Reply to
nospambob

So, if tackcloths are out and I don't want to make my own as you describe, what about wiping off the wood with mineral spirits or alcohol? Do these raise the grain and require light resanding after use as water does?

Reply to
rbrandywine