New Home Office Project

I tried that to some extent on my current desk in 1986. I found that computers, printers, and monitors all change shape and size. My original printer, 6 or so printers ago fit in my desk drawer, no longer.

Reply to
Leon

Yes! this one in particular. ;~)

Leon

Actually my wife will be there more than any one else but I can now have a client sitting next to me when reviewing drawings.

Reply to
Leon

Yes, you have a point there. Nevertheless, the size of computer station that I had in mind would certainly allow for a changing configuration in the years to come. You do have to admit, that except for increasing monitor size, computers are generally getting smaller as time goes on.

The current computer case that I have is only 2.5" less deep than the case I've been eyeing. Both of them are pretty well future proofed.

Here's the one I've been thinking about. Temjin TJ11. One thing in particular that I like about it is that the motherboard is rotated 90° and heat can be exhausted out of the top of it.

Dave

On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 12:53:19 -0600, Leon

The client thing is a good idea. Build it right and you can also use it as an example of your craftsmanship to those clients.

Reply to
Dave

Yeah computers are getting smaller. But my current one, I had it built

20 months ago, is the biggest that I have had yet. In fact the one in the model is an exact match. ;~)

My tower has exhaust on every side except the right hand side and has 5 fans.

Leon

Hence the difficulty factor in the rails on the doors and center arches on the upper unit and the desk between the drawers.

Reply to
Leon

"clear" ... like shellac, lacquer, etc. ;~)

But yes ... Java Gel Stain on poplar on poplar will too:

Swingman

I built a magazine rack for a friend. Each of the partitions was poplar with walnut trim. I picked the greenest poplar I could find. I liked the look and my friend loved it. I warned him to keep it out of the sun.

In answer to your question, just put the poplar in the sun for a while :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Progress so far. The front and back face frames for the desk drawer units have been assembled and are receiving varnish for the hard to get to areas. Side panel assemblies to the drawer units will be assembled tomorrow after the 4th coat of varnish on the cherry panels.

The stiles for the front and back face frames with Domino mortises

rails to the back face frames with Domino tenons, a pretty cool joint. It naturally forms a rabbet with its lap joints strengthened with the Donimos.

the joint looks like assembled.

the finished back face frame showing the rabbet that goes all the way around the opening. Note the dado's on the bottom sides of both stiles. These will receive the side panels.

a side note, all of the kerf cuts in the plywood work surface are a result of cutting the Wilsonart plastic laminate for the airplane cabinet project. The Festool fine tooth blade for plywood cut the laminate like a hot knife through butter with absolutely no chipping.

Reply to
Leon

Leon wrote in news:- snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Looks great so far. I like the joint with the dominoes. Looks real strong to me (nincompoop).

Reply to
Han

I am sure this has been used long before me but I never saw one like this before I came up with it about 14 months ago. Thank you Sketchup for helping me visualize it. I have made 14 previous back face frames this way in the past year or so, not counting the current project. I am reeeeeeeeel happy with it.

Reply to
Leon

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

You should put that Sketchup file on the website ... (hint - so I can "borrow" it!)

Reply to
Han

Which file and what web site.?

Reply to
Leon

Sure beats cutting mortices for loose tenons with a router, doesn't it. I don't have a domino cutter but if I did wood stuff for a living I sure would.

Reply to
dadiOH

Considering that I have bought 3 cases of replacement Dominos in 5 and 6 mm it sure does beat using a router in most cases. IIRC the 5 mm cases come with 1800 Domino tenons. I have probably cut at least 4000 mortises.

Reply to
Leon

Well the glue is setting and all 8 sides of the ddesk drawer units are basically done. Next major task will be building drawers. The desk portion could be finished by the end of next week, probably not. LOL

These BTY are clocked 90 degrees...

Leon

BTW, What does the "Y" stand for?

Reply to
Swingman

Reply to
-MIKE-

Out of the clamps and dry fit with approximate distance placement.

Detail

Leon