New Fangled Stuff

So we had the HVAC system replaced, it is a Carrier Infinity system wit a Heat pump and gas furnace. Trying to figure out controller is a bit frustrating at this point (yeah less than 24 hours in). I want to have it change temp for bed time and waking up, oh well time to slog through the manual (have been RTFM!).

Okay back to your usually stuff thanks for reading.

Reply to
Markem618

My programmable thermostat is set to "Manual" all-year-long - : 67 all winter long 24 x 7 < 69 if we have company over >

: 50 all summer long < we don't have central AC >

  • * Public Service Reminder * * Remember to check/change the batteries in the thermostat - before they corrode & leak and cost you $ 100. for a whole new thermostat ! .. experience talking .. :-( They do last quite a few years, but .. John T.
Reply to
hubops

We have two Nest thermostats (one for each heat pump). We don't set back the temperature much (only a couple of degrees) because the heat pumps are so slow to recover. If it's cold, they don't. The pump isn't working at all and the resistive (aux) heat isn't so great.

If they're AA or AAA batteries, use the Everyready Lithiums. They don't have the same leakage problem that Alkalines do (and they're a lot better these days). The lithiums are great for emergency flashlights that rarely get used. They have an excellent shelf life and don't leak.

Reply to
krw

Just one heat pump, the natural gas furnace was way better than having a 30 amp 240 line pull from an already full fuse box. Pretty sure it beat any resistive heat. But gas was already in place. Went with high end setup, the change from a system that just go on at full blast to the variable one is wonderful both outside and in the noise reduction alone is great, but the comfort level with ac grand.

After cussing out thing engineering and graphic team that designed the thermostat finally figure out how to do what I wanted.

Change batteries on the spring and fall equinox, lithium only here.

Reply to
Markem618

We don't have gas available. Electricity is relatively cheap so there isn't a big incentive to run gas all over. We have two 150A panels and there is plenty of space in them. I've used 11 breaker slots (2x240,

7x120) for the basement. I have about 1/3 left but I'll probably only need one more circuit for that.

We had to replace the downstairs unit a couple of years ago. We did the same as you. We went with a higher-end (not the top-of-the-line) Trane, with a two-speed fan. The top end had a better SER but the incremental price was ridiculous. I went with a fiberglass inside unit to eliminate any rust problem.

I had to call their tech support when I initially installed them here. I had no problem in our previous home but this one had a bunch of extra wires and didn't match anything in their directions.

I don't change lithiums until they're dead. I've replaced so few it doesn't really matter. Most of my "emergency" lights for blackouts are rechargeable. Small flashlights are scattered around to find the larger lights. ;-)

I use nothing but lithiums in tools that use AA or AAA batteries. Tools are too expensive to trust alkalines.

Reply to
krw