Need slow-drying glue.

I use white glue for gluing my projects. I prepare for the gluing operation (i.e. get everything ready before I begin) and I apply the glue quickly. But by the time I start assembling and clamping, the pieces don't want to fit together because the glue is half-dry.

I recall reading that white glue is slow-drying. Is there any good glue that is slower-drying than white glue?

Reply to
Billy Smith

Hide glue is the traditional slow drying glue. And when I say traditional, I mean it has been around for hundreds of years.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Titebond Extend or Titebond III

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Claims 15 minutes of open time. Think Elmer's.

Reply to
CW

Hide glue or UF. Titebond II Extend doesn't really extend your open time much.

Dave

Billy Smith wrote:

Reply to
David

White glue is actually one of the faster-drying glues.

Liquid hide glue is slower setting, perhaps an hour of working time. It's available from Woodcraft and many hardware and lumberyards.

For even slower setting, you can use plastic resin glue. Dap makes one variety. It comes in powder form. you mix with water. Can have up to several hours of working time. It has to be clamped and left at least 12-24 hours to set. Many of these glues have a dark glue line that can be objectionable on light woods, however.

HTH,

Paul

Reply to
Paul Franklin