Need help with shape for a Handle

Making a wooden rocking cradle for nephew/niece (surprise in store!!). I have made the entire piece alongwith all sides and rocker etc. Needed some guidance on an ergonomic design for a handle to cut into the sides. I am using 5/8" thick laminated wood board, and would like to cut in a nice (read: interesting) design for the handle shape.

Once the design is finalized, I plan to drill a pilot hole, cut with a jigsaw and then rout (round over) all the edges. Any experience to be shared regarding this method will also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your time! Regards, Rajeev.

Reply to
Rajeev

NVMon, Aug 20, 2007, 8:18pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Rajeev) doth post: Once the design is finalized, I plan to drill a pilot hole, cut with a jigsaw and then rout (round over) all the edges. Any experience to be shared regarding this method will also be greatly appreciated.

You're making it, I'd say any design that you like.

I'm not a fan of cradles. Yeah, nice idea, but the kid rapidly outgrows it, then it's just hanging around. Next time I'd say make a rocking chair. Then when the kid's asleep, he/she will sleep anywhere, and the parent can take a break in the rocking chair. And still be using it for years.

JOAT I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do them.

- Picasso

Reply to
J T

Rajeev wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@z24g2000prh.googlegroups.com:

I'd probably make the majority of the handle (where the crib will be held) parentheses shaped. Curve your hand a little and see what your fingers do, then follow that basic design.

I'm not an ergonomics expert, in fact my hand is complaining about having the computer in the wrong position on my lap. Gotta do something else for a while...

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

don't know how "interesting" it is, but I posted a detail of a handle cutout from an old plan that I had laying around. It's in alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking with the subject "Handle Cutout" and is, I believe, an example of what puckdropper was saying.

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

I wouldn't make a baby's cradle out of laminated wood. Just use real wood. What are you doing with the edges after you round them over? Isn't laminated wood board just particle board with a fake wood grain on it? Wouldn't it be easier to finish the edges if you didn't round it over? I have never worked with laminates. I see them in the store as shelving material, and always have chosen real wood instead. But then again, that's me. If I were to build a cradle for a baby, I'd build it out of real wood, and make handles from smoothed branches or wood dowels. But that's my rustic side....Build it to last.

Trees are good, dead or alive.

Minnesota, USA

Reply to
Sandy

I am using pinewood that is laminated into sheets (approx. 2" wide strips, stuck together to form planks). This is not laminated with a veneer, is real wood, but is much more environmentally efficient than solid wood planks (I am not questioning the beauty of using solid wood). I think this is also called glue-lam??/

Reply to
Rajeev

Fri, Aug 24, 2007, 10:34pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Rajeev) doth sayeth: I am using pinewood that is laminated into sheets (approx. 2" wide strips, stuck together to form planks). This is not laminated with a veneer, is real wood, but is much more environmentally efficient than solid wood planks (I am not questioning the beauty of using solid wood). I think this is also called glue-lam??/

Here in the U.S. I think you'd be referring to plywood. Laminated layers, ssually sold in about 4 foot by 8 foot sheets. I don't think I've ever heard it refered to as glue-lam, but that sounds accurate. You get different quality versions, depending on use, wood it's made from, and price. I see nothing at all bad with making a cradle out of it - the decent stuff that is, not the lower, construction, grade. On the other hand I would make a rocking chair rather than a cradle, but that's me.

JOAT I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do them.

- Picasso

Reply to
J T

Nope, not plywood. I live in the US too. Plywood is several layers of wood 'veneer' laminated together. This board is several pieces of 2" wide, 5/8" thick (solid) wood that are glued together to form boards (12"x48"x5/8"thk). I know these boards are very popular among designers in asia (made there from rubber wood). I've heard the term Glue-lam used to define built-up structural wood beams 12" to 30" deep. Don't know if the term applies for this application as well.

I guess I'll take your suggestion on making the rocking chair, but that will have to wait for a little bit longer. I am currently working out of the second bedroom or the porch outside (based on where the SWMBO is that day), and need a bit more of a set-up to attempt a chair!

Thanks, Rajeev.

Reply to
Rajeev

Sun, Aug 26, 2007, 3:52pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Rajeev) doth posteth: Nope, not plywood. I live in the US too. these boards are very popular among designers in asia (made there from rubber wood). I've heard the term Glue-lam used to define built-up structural wood beams

12" to 30" deep. Don't know if the term applies for this application as well. need a bit more of a set-up to attempt a chair!

Ah, something like the oak flooring the older kid gave me. LOL Should work fine. With a handle like that, no idea where you are, didn't want to ask. Designers - paugh. Not sure, think glue-lam only applies to beams.

Believe me, once those little kids are asleep you could drape them over a rock and they'd sleep. Trick is getting them to sleep in the first place sometimes. But when you do, you'll really appreciate a rocking chair for yourself. Here's a plan for one. I think it'd really look good with a shallac or varnish finish. Or stained. I'd also get a seat pad and a back pad. If you can handle a cradle, I'd think you could handle one of these.

I'm thinking of making one or two, and staining them, custom color, using very thinned latex paint.