Movable cabinet shelves - pins or standards?

I making some cabinets and my wife wants movable shelves. I used pins and 1/4" holes once before, but these look like a nicer idea. Any thoughts?

Greg Guarino

I see they also sell "walnut" coloured ! .. the usual colours are zinc, white, gold, IMO if the colour can blend in < not clash >

with the wood - good choice. Zinc always stands out & looks awful. John T.

Reply to
hubops

I used those on one of my first projects about 40 years ago. I switched to pins and never looked back.

What I do not like about the standards and clips.

To look decent the standards should be flush with the surface of the inner surface, mounted in a groove. This also helps hold the standard in place. This can be as much trouble or more than simply drilling the holes.

The big problem I have is that the clips that fit into the brackets have to be bent just right. If they are too tight they are difficult to insert into the standard. If they are too loose they fall out when you reposition the shelf.

A proper fitting clip needs to be squeezed and pressed into place. That can be difficult in tight spots and may require pliers to ease insertion. If it just slips right in it is likely to fall out as you wiggle and jiggle the shelf into place.

These do look a bit more finished but can be a RPIA to actually deal with if you plan on moving the shelving locations.

Reply to
Leon

And the same vertical registration is still needed. Does that require a stopped dado (starting/stopping at some reference)? Does the dado extend beyond the casework top and/or bottom and the screws set the height. Pins only need to be referenced to some point on the box.

Reply to
krw