Mortise/tennon question

Probably because the joints are too small to pin without weakening them.

Reply to
Tbone

Unless it's made in China, not at those prices.

Reply to
CW

Oh no! Real woodworkers never use expensive machines or jigs. The test the hell out of them but when it comes to the real thing they only use saws, chisles and the occasional shark skin sandpaper.

Why, I understand that they don't even use glue. Their work fits so closely that they get some kind of molecular bond.

mJ

Reply to
markm

I was joking of course. I agree with most of the posters that this can be done with basic home-made jigs. I would hesitate to pay $800 for anything without a power cord, even a miracle jig...

Reply to
David Binkowski

Also, it stands to reason if you have one or two jobs to do, its never going to be worth the $800 jig. If I did this day in and day out, or made a living at fine furniture making, perhaps I'd throw down $800 for said jig... But for hobby use, my delta mortiser is plenty, and I can use the router, or bandsaw & chisels for the tenons.

Reply to
David Binkowski

You jest, yet I just attended a seminar where the presenter took his chair apart, put it back together, then sat in it and fielded questions. No glue. No screws. No nails. Just good joinery. I'm not talking wobbly either. I felt it. It was rock solid. The presenter was Yeung Chan and the chair was a replica Ming Dynasty chair done with all Chinese style joinery. All but one of the joints is done with about 90% power tools. You have to see it to believe it.

Cheers, Eric

Reply to
Eric Lund