Mortise and Tenon cutter purchase advice

I want to buy a set of three to six mortise and tenon cutters to make some furniture and things.

Anyone have any suggestions on a good brand?

Caveats?

Do some have better replacement blades and better prices on them? What about longevity?

Sites would be appreciated. I have Googled a lot on this, and there are a lot out there. I just would like to buy a quality set that would:

Last be easy to get replacement blades for do a good job have good metal so they don't wear out fast have any other good qualities I don't know about yet.

TIA

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

What are you asking about? Hand chisels for motises? Chisels for a mortising machine or what brands of mortising machines themselves?

Reply to
Upscale

Since machine mortise bit/chisel sets don't cut tenons and neither do mortising chisels, I'm guessing he's talking about router bits - possibly for the Leigh FMT (in which case, money should be no object to him) or the Trend M&T jig. Given that assumption - Whiteside router bits have a good reputation.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Fine woodworking Mag just did an article on them. (?? I think) We just=20 moved so my mag collection is awol or I would find the article.

I remember that there were some clear winners -- in some respects.

--=20 Will R. Jewel Boxes and Wood Art

power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20 who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
WillR

On Sat 19 Nov 2005 02:05:52p, "SteveB" wrote in news:4ALff.566$1x.255@fed1read06:

Sure Steve, glad to help. This is all you'll need:

and a router and a few bits. But that's all.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

[snip]

If you want a bench top mortiser (most common), I have the Delta and am satisfied with that. You can google this news group and find lots of recent discussions on it. IIRC the General was another favorite.

I also have the Delta tenoning jig for the table saw which works quite well, even on my PM66. If I am doing just a few tenons, I will do them on the RAS which is also acceptable. There are lots of plans for home made tenoning jigs for the TS. Again google this group. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Again, I want to make rustic furniture where you take round pieces of wood, and sharpen them on the end to make a round tenon.

I am not making the regular mortise and tenon that has right angles, and can be made on a table saw.

This style uses round pieces of wood with the bark still on it.

Sorry I was not very clear.

I am learning.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Try this:

vendors carry similar tools. Haven't used any of them, so I can't comment. FWIW,

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Thanks, Greg. Exactly what I am looking for. Just wondered if anyone had experience enough with these to say which were some of the best brands.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

On Sun 20 Nov 2005 06:25:12p, "SteveB" wrote in news:at8gf.679$1x.109@fed1read06:

Oh, those.

Actually I wasn't aware there was more than one company making those things.

Reply to
Dan

Just saw this:

at Rockler