More fun with scrapers

Been working on a shallow (~1/2" deep) hand-carved walnut tray as an anniversary gift for SWMBO. It was going along fine, as I got a nice uniform depth to the center, with minimal tearout. I then took a card scraper to clean up the bottom of the tray and it was looking great. The trick was getting a nice little radius where the side walls meet the bottom. I tried various chisels and gouges and nothing was able to handle the long grain without risking some pretty ugly tearout.

I was getting pretty frustrated when I had a Homer moment. I don't know why it took me so long, as I use various scrapers when doing bowls. So I checked the various curved scrapers I have, looking for one that approximated the radius I wanted. Nope, nothing quite right.

While I was debating re-grinding the edge on one of my full-size scrapers, I remembered the pack of miniature scrapers I had picked up from LV as a throw-in when redeeming a gift certificate. They are 2" x 1" and cost about $3 for a pack of three.

I grabbed one of them and a file and about five minutes later I had just the radius I was looking for. Took the scraper to my SS setup and lapped the faces and polished the edges, took my Hock burnisher and turned a hook and I was in bidness.

A few minutes with that scraper and I had a seamless transition/radius with absolutely no tearout.

Now I just need to find a way to do the same on the ends of the tray. I can't see a scraper handling that endgrain as well.

Chuck Vance Just say (tmPL) Sometimes the simplest technique is the best.

Reply to
Conan the Librarian

It will. That's what scrapers exist for really. The grain a hand plane (which gives a better finish) can't handle. Just take very light swipes; I find short strokes work best on grain like that.

Reply to
DarylRos

appropriate cut/paste warning. Awesome little beast for almost any cove. I know of a dozen or so purchased because I used them at carving classes.

Little damp on the endgrain, and some skew on the scraper will really slick it down, as well as leave it a touch compressed to reject stain and darkening, if you're doing a project like that.

Reply to
George

> With appropriate cut/paste warning. Awesome little beast for almost any

Reply to
Dave W

I'll try it again, but the last time I tried to use a scraper on the inside endgrain on a bowl, it just sort of skittered along. It was great on the transition area where the grain starts to turn into long-grain, but not on the endgrain itself.

I dunno ... it could be that I was trying to remove too much stock with the thing.

Chuck Vance

Reply to
Conan the Librarian

Hey, I've got one of those things. :-) It was another "throw-in" when I was redeeming a gift certificate. (Sometimes it seems like my whole order is composed of nothing but cute little gadgets. :-)

I haven't used it for much, as I never found what it seems best suited for. How do you sharpen yours? Do you aim for a true bevel on it? Do you use a hook like a regular scraper?

Anyhow, thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to dig it out and give it a whirl.

Chuck Vance

Reply to
Conan the Librarian

I run the existing bevel with a stone and use the sharp edge for scraping spoon bowls, the nubs off the bottom of parted turnings (after trimming with a curved knife), the burn off of carelessly routed cherry coves... you name it.

For relief carvings, it'll clean up the grounding, for tray-cutting bits, the rough edges.

They're not gadgets. They're specialized tools. We both have, I'm sure, all the general ones....

Reply to
George

very sharp scraper. very light touch.

Reply to