Moment's inattention = 1 hour's worth repair

Still working on the entertainment center, I got the door panels finished and glued up in the frames and spent today putting the roundovers and inset rabbets on the door frames. Four of the six doors get inset rabbets all around, the two doors for the flipper doors are only rabbetted on the top and center edges. While cutting the rabbets for the last lower door, I told myself, "self, remember to only cut the meeting edge on the upper doors" . Finished the last lower door, grabbed one of the upper doors, cut the upper and lower rabbets, then, yep, neglecting the advice I gave myself, proceeded to cut a rabbet on the hinge side of the door. The doors aren't interchangeable as I spent some time matching the plywood and also the frame woods.

The good news: Because of the width of the rabbets, there was about

1/16" strip left on the outside of the door that wasn't taken off (I caught myself before finishing the rabbet). So there's a strip of the door that shows and wasn't cut off and I have a dado into which I can put a filler strip.

More good news: I found a piece of the board I was using for the door frames, so the filler strip will match pretty well.

The bad news: Took me about an hour to plane down the filler strip and get it fit and glued. Still need to plane it flush after the glue dries -- that's probably another 30 minutes to get it right.

aaargh!

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Mark & Juanita wrote in news:1098587353.yj8tGvxMw3oLKRx8Xa0zsQ@teranews:

Did the same thing last evening, but didn't find it until this afternoon.

The stringers for the 10 months in the making blanket chest/bench/now to be a coffee table are grooved on the top to take the white oak panels, but the groove is offset, to allow for a compound reveal. What I did was screw the cleat for hanging the cedar bottom panels onto the wrong (front) side of the stringer. Found this while I was carefully applying dye stain this afternoon.

I will almost certainly have to make another part. Even if I can repair the holes, getting the dye to match is unlikely.

Keeps one humble, doesn't it?

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

Thanks.. as a newbie, I thought only we did it.. *g*g

Working on my 2nd set of drawers under my router table.. on the 1st set, I KNEW that all the drawer sides and front went through the router for the 1/4" dado for the bottom... I also knew that only the drawer SIDES went through the router again to get the 3/4" dado on the outside for the slide... naturally, I put all of the pieces through the router, making sure that each 3/4" dado was done in 3 or 4 passes to avoid splintering, etc.... Ended up deciding to face the drawer fronts (again) and not worry about the extra dado in the back of each drawer..

Anyway, just trimming out the table front with the 2nd set of drawers finished... this time, every damn piece was labeled in pencil.. side, front, back, etc... and the routs drawn in only where they were supposed to be... If there is a human error available, I'll find it in my work... that's what makes each piece "hand made" and "unique" I guess..

Reply to
mac davis

If I had a nickel every time.............................. :)

Reply to
Wayne K.