Molding - In one pass???

I've just started playing with the new Powermatic planner molder that I bought and was wondering if someone could help? Last night when I was doing some relief cuts I need to do a lot of adjustments to the infeed and outfeed rollers in order to get them to take the pine wood. Is this normal? Now I'm tooling up to run some 3 1/2" molding with a profiled blade that will cut

3/4" at it's deepest part. Should the molding be cut in a single pass or should I adjust the rollers down and slowly work the profile???
Reply to
J.M.

I attempted the same thing on my Jet molder - when the wood ejected the molder and slammed into my basement wall about 3" from my new glass doors, I decided multiple passes is a much better approach.

Reply to
D Steck

Personally, I have always found it better to ease up to a final profile whether planing, routing, or making dadoes. I have some bonzai mofo friends that love the sound of their machines straining... it makes them feel like they are working hard.

But smaller passes with your cutters means less wear on the machines, less wear on the cutters, and it gives a better surface on the final product if you make a final finishing cut.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

There is an old adage among cruising sailors:

Take care of the boat and the boat will take care of you.

Seems like a good philosophy for most things, including wood working tools.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

...and here I thought those mofos lived exclusively up here.

Thanks for the laugh..

Reply to
Robatoy

When I first started using my machine I had the same questiona nd couldn't fidn the answer so being impatient I ran some rough pine through the molder with a single pass. All of that molding came out great and was ready to be stained. I'll probabl go to multiple passes if I go to a harder wood. With a

5HP motor I can't say I noticed the machine even working at making the molding.
Reply to
HotRod

For those of you doing multipasses are you setting your feed rollers lower for each pass? Doesn't this make for a lot of adjustment time?

Reply to
HotRod