Maybe OT - cutting granite

Got a nice piece of granite (1 3/4") to use as my bas for sandpaper sharpening system, but I need to square it up.

How do I cut granite? Is it time to find a counter top guy who has a diamond blade or what?

Thanks for the suggestions....

markndawoods

Reply to
Markndawoods

You can make small cuts in granite with an electric grinder and a suitable disk. Difficult to be accurate, the finish will be rough and I would never attempt to smooth or polish even a small piece of edge with ordinary abrasives.

Tim w

Reply to
Tim W

You already have a flat surface and now you mean to cut the edges square, no?

Reply to
phorbin

You need a diamond wet saw to cut your granite. Most tile installers and many stores have one for cutting tiles, including granite tiles. A local installer or store may be willing to cut your granite for a fee.

Reply to
EXT

That is correct. It is a piece of counter top that broke in transit. If I can square it up it would be cool.

Reply to
Markndawoods

That is kind of what I figured, just hoping for a solution I could do in my shop.

Thanks for the reply

Reply to
Markndawoods

You can get inexpensive diamond blades for angle grinders. Maybe rig up some sort of carriage to hold the grinder and ride along a straightedge? Should be good enough for shop use.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

You might want to take a look at

which has a couple of nice videos that show how to cut stone with a hammer and chisel and with a diamond saw.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I'd be inclined to visit a local headstone shop, but if the angle grinder idea has appeal, then something like the fifth and sixth photos from the top at

work as a holder to run along a straight edge.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

blade, runs water over the cut to keep things cool, and has a GFI on the power source for the saw. I'd want pneumatics for this, but he makes nice cuts, and is still among us. Kerry

Reply to
Kerry Montgomery

i cut lots of granite slab using an angle grinder with a 4" dry diamond blade, if it's too large to fit on the table of my tile saw. don't breath the dust, btw. if you want a polished edge, you need a water-feed grinder/polisher. i use this one:

upon the size, just find a tile guy. home depot will cut it for you for not very much/cut.

regards, charlie

charlie

Wet saws aren't all that expensive and are useful things to have around. I bought one a few years back for tile and have used it quite a bit. HarborFreight has a fairly nice one for what I paid for mine ($250ish).

A case of beer might get an installer to cut it for you. He might even share. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Ir a diamond blade in an old circular saw. Use a hose to wet down the granite. Not too wet though (electricity and water don't mix well).

Reply to
krw

RE: Subject

This appears to be a one shot deal.

Think BARTER.

A case of Little Greenies can accomplish a lot.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I'm a bit late to the party. Use a diamond masonry blade in your circular saw. A low-cost one will do fine. Clamp on a fence, and take 1/4" passes. Dry. And reasonably quickly. Outside with goggles and dust mask, stay up-wind, because it gets some dusty. I do this all the time.

Reply to
Robatoy

Some years back it got me a new ("mud job") tub surround by one of the best tile guys in the area. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Those guys use water jets with grit.

Might talk to a grave stone company in town - they might be helpful experts.

Mart> Got a nice piece of granite (1 3/4") to use as my bas for sandpaper

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn