major problems in the south.

Not only have we got a new granddaughter born in New York . Not only that, but to make matters worse Manhattan of all places .

So not only are we faced with the major problem of teaching the child all things southern, where the rest of the family hails from but now we can't even say when asked where she came from "somwhere just north [in a very quiet tone] of the Mason Dixon line.

Now to compound the problem , the wife who is up there [I thought trying to get an early jump on the situation] has suddenly taken a liking to New Jersey, saying she would not mind living there .

Tell me, what else can go wrong, the sky is falling .....mjh

-- mike hide

Reply to
Mike Hide

"Mike Hide" wrote in news:EEq4b.315686$YN5.215252@sccrnsc01:

Take a look:

Han

Reply to
Ramsey

Reply to
Ramsey

Send her back up there in January... Then see if she still thinks living up there would be nice.

Reply to
Leon

Isn't that close to Maryland and Delaware? Did you know that some consider those states as "Southern States?" NJ is really not that far then. Is it?

Reply to
jm

Clint its not about paying to live in the south, its heretage, the stars and bars, fried ocra, barbeque, catfish suppers, RC cola ,coke , playing golf in december, the Masters having a workshop in the back of the yard with heat and AC laughing at the yankees when the power goes out. having the best college teams in the country [football that is ] going to the "Thrashers " game when its a 100 degrees in the shade . It,s not about paying to be anywhere Clint ,it"s all of the above and more.

And hey Clint I'm an immigrant, just imagine how the locals feelabout situations like this ,it"s just very distressing...

By the way Georgia will be number one this season, mark my words... mjh

-- mike hide

Reply to
Mike Hide

Could be worse. My eldest married a Texas girl. I can hear the confusion now when they have kids. "Y'all want to go Green Bay, eh?"

Reply to
George

Reply to
Ramsey

I'll have to second Leon's advice. My wife was born and raised here in the big ATL. I'm a yankee transplant from Buffalo. We had to go to Buffalo for a funeral over Christmas back in 2001...and if any of y'all live in that vicinity, you will remember that a whole bunch of snow fell that week. Needless to say that cured SWMBO from ever wanting to live up north. It was a bittersweet thing for me...but I think I'll have to take bbq and sweet tea over good hockey anyday...although my old lacrosse sticks are pretty much useless here :)

Rob

Rob Walters

Jersey! Yuck. I had to spend too many summer vacations in Lodi (near Pasaic??) Just take her around the the seedier areas which happens to be most of NJ so she can get a look at the dark underbelly of that State. High taxes, high crime, no RKBA.

These comments from a Michigander who would take any part of the south over having to live in NJ.

I wish you well,

Wes

Reply to
clutch

Try Atlanta and environs, June through October--without AC.

Charlie Self

"Old age is fifteen years older than I am." Oliver Wendell Holmes

Reply to
Charlie Self

I have relatives in Buffalo on my wife's side. One lives near the Niagara river across the street from a park. Tonawanda Street. They too remember that snow.. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

No thanks. Been there, done that. Our wonderful "contractor-grade" AC unit went tango-uniform at the end of May and it took six days to get a new unit installed. Had to buy a portable unit to put in the bedroom just to get some sleep. But some good came out of it...that portable unit now cools the shop.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Walters

snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote, wondering if this is really what he meant?

Hey I'm from Jersey and you don't know what your talking about. Jersey has more country in it than Michigan ever had. I can probably name 10 cities in Michigan that would fall into the definition of seedier areas.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Rich wrote, wondering if this is really what he meant?

hahaha but I don't live there now. I'll take Southern California to Detroit any day. Beside I can ride my Chopper everyday of the year here.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Rich responds:

Huh? Smaller state that is the most heavily urbanized in the U.S. and it has more country?

Jersey's OK, but it is not really pastoral, though the Pine Barrens were pretty good 25 years ago.

Charlie Self

"Old age is fifteen years older than I am." Oliver Wendell Holmes

Reply to
Charlie Self

Gee, I dunno Charlie, I am from Jersey and live in Hunterdon County, and 1 mile down the road is a Buffalo farm, I live next to Round Valley Resevoir, there's lots of hills, open fields, trees, vegetable farms, dairy farms, horse farms, and gee, we haven't gotten to Sussex or Warren Counties yet. Up there is more of the same, plus stands of white oak, red oak, poplar, maple and pine. I see about 70% of the stars I usually see when pike fishing in northern Quebec, which is pretty good for a metropolitan light polluted area.

Everyone thinks Jersey is just the turnpike and refineries, and I can't blame them, but Northwest NJ is still pretty, now I'm not saying its not "crowded" compared to other parts of the country, but a country boy could survive in places like Newton, or Frenchtown, Blairstown or Belvidere. I know I do. Hell, I never lived more than a mile from a cow until I moved to North Carolina for 5 years (never had "city" water, or sewers till then either), but I'm back now 'cept I live a mile from a buffalo. Only problem is that in the Carolinas I had about 4 local sawmills to get wood from, now I have to haul out to around Williamsport PA to get reasonably priced hardwood. I sure miss going to Steve Wall Lumber in Mayodan.

Reply to
Rrniemiec

Oh, by the way, on NJ being close to MD and Del, considered "southern" states, I remind everyone that half of Cape May County is actually south of the Mason Dixon line........

Reply to
Rrniemiec