Lumber sources?

I've spent a bundle of moolah lately for hard maple, red oak and poplar. Buying from Frank Paxton Lumber Co. in Cincinnati. I asked about rough sawn lumber but the savings just wasn't enough to justify the extra labor. I'd have had to buy 500 board ft. to even get any savings. What are some good sources to get ahold of some decent rough cut hardwoods for cheap. I like to doing the work but it sucks to pay those primo prices for wood that still needs quite a bit of work. Would a sawmill be the best option? Any other ideas?

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin L. Bowling

Kevin, I'm in Columbus and buy from Willis lumber just south of me or Frank Miller in Union City. They both have web sites. I was over at Miller's yesterday and they have lots of maple. Both Willis and Miller deliver across the state free. Willis has a 500 board feet minimum for free delivery. Miller doesn't. Miller is by far the bigger operation, and for what I buy, QSWO, has better prices. Both places are very nice to deal with. There's also a place in Enon, Ohio which is between Springfield and Dayton on 70 West. It's called the Hardwood Store. They have a website too. Sorry, I'm away from my regular machine or I would send you the links. The Enon store is more for the guy who just wants to build a table. Miller's will give you the 1200 bf price on any size order if you are a business. QSWO at Millers is about $3.80 a bf, right around what walnut is. This is the select or better price. Enon is about $4.30 or so and Willis is close to Enon. Email me if you have trouble finding what you want. Ohio is full of wood.

Jeff

Reply to
jeff

Reply to
Dave Jackson

" Buying from Frank Paxton Lumber Co. in Cincinnati. "

Seems to me if you are close to Cincinnati, a little exploring in Ky would turn up some good buys. I always want to have a supply ahead of time to insure it is conditioned when I am ready to use it plus if you need to buy on the spur of the moment, you are likely to have to pay top price.

Walt Conner

Reply to
WConner

Kevin, I saw a 'Custom Sawing - Woodmiser' business card on a bulletin board while grossly overpaying for hardwood at the only sawmill/lumber place near me. Made a phone call and found an older gentleman on a horse farm selling air or kiln dried rough lumber he cuts himself. $1/bdft for a generous 4/4 red/white oak & ash, $2/bdft for cherry & walnut. No maple though - chips all that up for animal bedding. Asked me if I'd be interested in some new 8/4 stuff when it's ready in the kiln. Thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Keep your eyes open, you may luck out too. Steve

Reply to
Steve

Kevin:

Reply to
Phil-in-MI

The sources it's pointed me to were either lame (they don't respond to multiple email contacts or return phone calls), way overpriced (Woodcraft stores), out of date, or far away. I live in CT, USA, so it's not exactly hard to find hardwoods.

I've had much better luck looking in the back of Woodshop News and asking at local tool stores (NOT Home Centers) and cabinet shops.

My best sources were obtained by asking the guy who got out of the van with a plane painted on the side @ Coastal Tool or Tools Plus, or simply calling small local cabinet shops and asking where they get stock.

Some of the cabinet shops have sold me stock, others have pointed me to wholesalers, who in turn, pointed me to local guys who would sell me smaller quantities. One or two wouldn't tell me. I now have no less than (8) sources within a 30 minute drive and (2) within

10 minutes!

The wholesalers were even willing to set up an account if I wanted enough stock.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Thanks for the advice. I'll be looking into some of these options.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin L. Bowling