looking for a decent plywood for a crawlspace "floor"

Hew, it's a crawl space storage area, not a patio :-). Just lay them down. But if anything you'll store under there could be hurt by dampness I'd put the plastic sheeting under them,

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

e:

therwise, maybe mount (with foam compatible liquid nails) to your PT plywoo d on 6" of extruded insulation in the crawlspace, laced together so it floa ts as a unit??? Good luck

r now, the crawl space is on the side of the basement and goes around the b ack of the house in an L shape. There are cellar doors on the side of the house and, if i'm leaving the basement through those doors, right before i get to the doors the crawlspace is on the left. It's raised so the floor o f the space is about chest-height. The space is about 4 feet wide and mayb e 2-3 feet high and goes back about 10 feet to the back of the house where it takes a 90 degree angle left. I've actually never seen the crawlspace a rea behind the house as i've never crawled back that far. Just planning on doing the 10 feet on the side for now. As far as water draining when i ho se it, there are plenty of holes and spaces in the side of the house where animals have gotten in (my backyard goes right into a park) so no problem w ith drainage there. I'm planning on storing things in waterproof container s.

bnwelch

Dirt doesn't come up. Weeds need both water AND light to grow...does your crawl space get those (I hope not)?

Reply to
dadiOH

Fredd Wright wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

One thing my step father found out regarding waterproof containers is that when the water gets high enough, they tip over. So unless the containers seal air tight, it's a bad idea to store anything you can't afford to lose in such a space.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Mushrooms?

Reply to
Markem

They don't tip if properly ballasted Load them low and heavy and they bob around like a little tugboat.

Reply to
clare

I thought of that. I may try to figure out a way to strap them in. EIther way, i'm going to try to find some good airtight containers. We always have a couple days notice before a hurricane so i can always move them upstairs in advance if i need to.

Reply to
Fredd Wright

there's another issue. if there's enough air trapped inside airtight containers, it could condense with the cold water or cold of the basement and cause rot, mildew ,etc.

Reply to
woodchucker

That's why you toss in some silica gel.

Reply to
J. Clarke

You'll have to refresh it periodically. Unless it's *wet*, it's better to leave it well ventilated, rather than even try to make it air tight (it won't be).

Reply to
krw

rote:

EIther way, i'm going to try to find some good airtight containers. We al ways have a couple days notice before a hurricane so i can always move them upstairs in advance if i need to.

What do you mean it won't be? Are you saying that no container is truly ai r tight and air will always get in?

Reply to
Fredd Wright

Why will you have to refresh it periodically? Once it absorbs all the moisture in the container condensation won't be an issue.

What, a jar with a screw cap won't be air tight? You must be getting some pretty crappy jars.

Now I predict that you are going to come back with some crap about "not talking about jars". Well Earth to KRW we were talking about "airtight containers" and jars most assuredly are "containers".

Reply to
J. Clarke

. EIther way, i'm going to try to find some good airtight containers. We always have a couple days notice before a hurricane so i can always move th em upstairs in advance if i need to.

Do you really think the OP wants to cover the floor of a fairly large crawl space in order to store jars?

So, no, we aren't talking about jars *in this case.*

Reply to
DerbyDad03

So are gasoline "containers" and

and many more like them. As we;; as metal and plastic drums, etc, etc. MANY ways of storing things in "air-tight" containers.

Reply to
clare

How about barrels, vac-pacs, and marine storage boxes?

Reply to
clare

Proof that any discussion can and will take a tanget the OP had not intended.

Reply to
Markem

m.com

in. EIther way, i'm going to try to find some good airtight containers. We always have a couple days notice before a hurricane so i can always move them upstairs in advance if i need to.

awl space in order

Yep...I believe that those are more on topic for this discussion.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Sigh. A 1 line response in a 111 line message!

It appears that some of the posters here have never heard of cut and paste. No, it's not required, but it sure is more polite.

In my newsreader, all I have to do is mouse over the part I want in my response and click reply. Just as in the 3 lines above. Simple to do.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Reply to
Swingman

You're beating your head on the wall Larry. Several of us have commented on this over the years and it goes unnoticed by the offenders.

Reply to
Mike Marlow