Just how lazy can we get?

I guess I'm just measuring wrong... I do it "carpet installer" style: Let out enough tape to hit your starting point and walk away from it as you let out more tape..

Personally, I'd buy a laser range-finder type tape measure before a power tape... I mean, if you're going to be lazy, why bother with all that messy steel tape?

*lol*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

A FatMax is a countertop guy's bestest friend. I must have a dozen or more tapes all over the place...but freak out if I can't locate my FatMax.... now I wish I could find a dual (metric & Imp) one.

Reply to
Robatoy

It still has a dumb end and a smart end. j4

Reply to
jo4hn

"Robatoy" wrote

snip ......

Well, try

the wrap ... Part number 33-719 ... 15 foot / 5 meter

or this one:

watch the wrap ... Part number 33-726 ... 26 foot / 8 meter.

HTH,

Rick

Reply to
Rick M

now sells pre-made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with the crusts cut off.

This has been one of the most profitable items Smuckers has ever sold.

Reply to
Rumpty

Kinda depends on who's holding it, doesn't it?

Tom

Reply to
Thomas Bunetta

Hmm. Machines have made us productive. Why do you single this one out as making us obease. Many of us use time saving machines to free us up to hike, bike, swim, ski, ....

Reply to
Never Enough Money

You know there really _is_ such a product, don't you? sold for aquariums

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

To those that use gadgets (which this is) to free up their time, fair play to ya. But when I see folks hop out of their minivan, push a button to open the side door, push another button to lower the seat, and yet another to do some other formerly physical activity, I just can't help but think the vast majority of people are not getting their exercise. Those places in the world where they still do things "manually" don't seem to have this problem. I won't argue that our fast food lifestyle is a major contributer but it just seems that some folks just don't get their exercise from doing things a bit more manually. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

... snip

That assumes that you have easy (or even not-so-easy) access to both ends you are trying to measure. Think confined space, such as a 2 x 2 lumber rack for which you are trying to measure the length of one of the boards within it. Other examples abound, such as finding the length to a wall from within a confined crawl space or unaccessable attic space.

Mark & Juanita

I had the piss taken out of me for my "twenty quid tape measure" when I first got it. Standing on top of a frame and pushing it out far enough to check diagonals without needing an assistant to hold it stopped that one.

Then of course they made a better one ! The "Leverlock" in the base is one of the first big tapes I've seen where the lock doesn't self-release if you push and pull on the tape.

Standard sort round here - wish I could get an imperial only one.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Your assertions assume that labor saving devices cause or at least encourage obesity. I think these folks would be obese anyway because we have so much food, much of it highly fattening. The "places in the world where they still do things 'manually'" also are not aflush with resturants that use butter like water, fast food restuarants that use animal fat as taste enhancers, and highly processed food.

The problem of obesity is more complex than labor saving devices -- but I see you point. Cheers :)

Reply to
Never Enough Money

I love my Leverlock tape from Stanley. I have two in fact. I bought the first one from the borg, but when I wanted a second, no one carried them. I finally found a second one at Seven Corners Hardware (Tools on Sale).

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

hmm.. you just add water to make water???

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I agree, the food we eat has more to do with obesity than anything. Couple it with lack of exercise and voila! I have seen a number of places however, where the people eat very rich type food (France, Italy) and don't seem to have the "largeness" that we do. Most of them put in many more miles of walking and still do things in a very manual way so it would seem that exercise has a lot to do with it.

Either way, I work pretty hard (physically) on my days off and will not be buying one of these gadgets! Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

Hear, hear!

A new way in this house: Both my wife and I love freshly made ice-cream (most other, packaged stuff is drek.) BUT!!! If we want ice-cream, we have to peddle our bikes to another town to get it.... and we do..

Reply to
Robatoy

You are only looking at it from one side. For the average woodworker, you are right, it serves little purpose but if you are in the construction trade, it can be both a lifesaver and makes the difference between getting the measurement and giving up.

Reply to
TBone

maybe you need to pick up an old hand crank ice cream maker and adapt it for bike power... now, if you wife is REALLY good on the bike, a bike power table saw would be handy.. *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Well... *I* bought a Starrett Model D125(64443) DIGITAPE.

I did.

For real.

Guess what?

$ 11.00 (that's ELEVEN) frickin' dollars for one of those obscure 3 volt MnO2Li batteries to power it.

I was trapped. TRAPPED! I tell ya...

with 'Long Life' Lithium battery. The slightest bit of motion, and the thing turned itself on.

But I was the coolest for a little while. Chicks dug me.

Reply to
Robatoy

So, what does the homeowner/foreman say when you "give up" on measuring when you're on the job?

If you can't get a measurement with a regular tape of the appropriate length, you're in the wrong trade. A tape with a little motor on it isn't going to help much.

Reply to
Prometheus