Jumping into the deep end

This is a dust collection question. I have read oodles of articles and books and threads on dust collection and that 6 inch lines to the machine (PM 66) will result in much better airflow and less dust in my shop. Here is my problem - how do you cut a 6 inch dust port in your table saw without screwing it up? Just the idea of taking a cutting device to the PM-66 kind of dries out my mouth and makes my palms sweaty. Any ideas or should I just leave well enough alone and be happy with the 4 inch dust port?

Rick

"It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

Reply to
Rick

A 4 inch is fine for the bottom section of the saw. Using 6" across the shop is good for the friction losses of the air velocity.

What you can do is use a reducer, then a couple feet of 4" flex to the saw. Right before the reducer, put a Y in for a 1 1/2" hose to go to a collector in the guard, right above the blade. If not part of a guard, just a device to suck sawdust that does not get into the bottom of the saw.

You may need to close off some of the space around the motor, where space has been left for the motor to move, when it is set for mitering.

Reply to
Morgans

Morgans responds:

You're right all the way except for the need to leave space for the motor, or to close of space around it. The PM66 motor is fully enclosed in the cabinet.

Charlie Self

"Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things." Dan Quayle, 11/30/88

Reply to
Charlie Self

Thanks to all for your replies! I feel much better about leaving the

4 inch port alone and I will put a smaller dust line to the top of the saw. Thanks again!

Rick

Reply to
Rick