Joys of a cheap drill

I didn't want to use my good drill for sanding (inside bowls) so I bought a Skil variable speed reversible for under $30. Right away I spent $15 to replace the stiff plastic cord it came with. It has worked faithfully for 4 or 5 years. Today it started sputtering and stopped.

I had to completely disembowel the thing to get at the brushes. One was worn to a nubbin and the other was nearly new looking. And they are an odd size. I bought some the same thickness and cut them do the right length and width and now it runs good again.

Next time I will probably go with a Makita tailed drill, or something similar.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

On 9/11/2009 3:04 PM Gerald Ross spake thus:

In the spirit of anti-gloating, I can one-up you: when I needed a drill for wire-brushing a rusted railing--a dumbass job for an electric drill if there ever was one--I went over to my favorite recycled-goods store, Urban Ore in Berkeley, and picked up a 1-speed drill for $5. The drill will probably outlive me. It's actually better than most drills for this kind of work since instead of the usual trigger switch, it has a big slide switch on top that you don't have to either hold on to or lock down to get the drill to run continuously. Plus it's solid metal, not plastic.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I bought a Sioux close quarter knock off on Ebay about 100 bowls or so ago.. I think it was $25 with shipping.. Damn thing is like a Timex, it just keeps on ticking with zero maintenance..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I bought the cheapest hammer drill I could find, about 15 years ago... turned out to be a little Skil 3/8".

I have used and abused that thing, including attaching it to a drill-pump to suck water out of the basement during and after rains, before the house was dry-- it ran for 8-12 hours at a time. It's been left outside in the rain and snow, been dropped from a 30 foot peak onto a gravel driveway, I think the concrete truck even ran it over once. :-)

It's in my garage and I still use it to drill holes in concrete.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I once had a skill hammer drill. It died. sigh

Reply to
Gerald Ross

I use a harbor fright close quarter drill but only used it on natural edge bowls with the lathe stopped. My knuckles don't like for me to use it in a deep regular bowl.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

I have a Skill jigsaw, damn thing won't die, believe me I have tried.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

I have no skills whatsoever. ; )

Reply to
diggerop

Where can I find these "Skill" tools of which you speak? :-p

Reply to
-MIKE-

Ok, one to many el's. But drive to Toronto, you can have it. ;-)

Reply to
FrozenNorth

I got the tools. It's the "cheap drill"? ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Probably the same one I have.. I use it inside bowls a lot.. if that doesn't work, I go to the power shaft..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

You mean Skil vibrator? Those things are sex toys, not wooddorking tools.

Luigi

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi