Joints for bed

Im making a solid oak single bed

3 x 3 oak leag 15" high capped with walnut tops to hide the end grain 61/2" side 3/4" thick the clip fitting to hold the sides on do you think its ok to just biscuit the joints on the bottom and headboard ends?
Reply to
Connor Aston

I'd use something similar to these

and easy to take apart and move

Rich

Reply to
evodawg

Do you mean side rails to bed posts or headboard to bedposts?

I'll assume you meant the latter. In building my last bed, I used a mortise and large tenon. Beds get a surprising amount of unusual forces for many directions. The rails are attached using two of the the large Rockler rail catches on each end. (See other post for link)

Heres a picture:

Teamcasa

I'd agree that biscuits wouldn't be sufficient for any structural joint on a bed frame. I'm working on a mission style bed frame also, and I'm using the connectors from the first reply post to connect my side rails to the posts, and large m&t's to connect the headboard pieces to the posts. Look around at Rockler.com - there are a few different types of hardware to connect side rails to the posts. Good luck, Andy

Reply to
Andy

I have never found the connectors shown, on the Rockler website, from the original reply to be sufficient. My first few beds I used those connects and received complaints of squeaky/wobbly beds. I switched to bed bolt fasteners and have no more complaints. I am sure that they are available other places but Less Vally has them.

Frank Drackman

If you or your customer are going to make love on the bed then only bed bolts will suffice to keep it from falling apart beneath you.

DAMHIKT ;->

J.

C> Im making a solid oak single bed

Reply to
John

believe if you scroll down on that site you'll find bed bolts too. I just wanted to give him options. I'm not pushing Rockler but I have one down the street and it's usually the first thing that comes up on a Google search. Its amazing what you find on google if you just ask?

Reply to
evodawg

I didn't mean to imply that you were endorsing them. I just wanted to let people know that I have had bad experiences with them. The bed bolts hace some design restrictions but I can deal with them. I can't deal with squeaky beds.

Reply to
Frank Drackman

I meant the headboard to posts sorry So you all dont seem to think biscuits will be enough? I have made the posts 31/2 x 31/2 x 18" oak with a nice 3/8" walnut cap to hide the end grain. So it looks like i'll just have to bite the bullet and have my first go at a mortice and tennon joint for the rails. I have the robland x31 with the mort attachment have tried a few sample withthis in the past but i recon i'll just have to hand cut the tennins as i have no jigs.Im sure it will be goog experience.

As for the connectors thanks but i have been remommended to use these

post a few pics soon connor

Reply to
Connor Aston

>>> I believe if you scroll down on that site you'll find bed bolts too. I >> just

No problem :)

Reply to
evodawg