Joining wood

Is there ay tried and tested fast way to join two bits of wood, with out a joiner?

Thanks

Eddy

Reply to
Eddy

That's a broad open-ended question. Maybe you are a candidate for quick and dirty pocket-hole joinery.

Bob

Reply to
bluemax1811-newsgroups

That's a broad open-ended question. Maybe you are a candidate for quick and dirty pocket-hole joinery.

Bob

Reply to
bluemax1811-newsgroups

Aye, there is a "tried and tested fast way" - hire a woodworker.

OTOH, what kind of wood and how do you want to join them? End to end, end to face, end to edge, edge to edge, edge to face, face to face, sixty nine?

Reply to
Swingman

bluemax responds:

Or even a couple 16d nails.

Charlie Self "They want the federal government controlling Social Security like it's some kind of federal program." George W. Bush, St. Charles, Missouri, November 2,

2000
Reply to
Charlie Self

Straighten the edges with a jointer plane. Takes some technique, but that's the way they did it in the old days.

Start with a table saw to make sure both edges are as straight as possible. Then clamp both boards together and plane both edges at the same time. But they have to be STRAIGHT.

Reply to
Geoff

Of course that presents another set of criteria.

  1. Galvanized?
  2. Common or Box?
  3. Finish or Sinker head?

SH

Reply to
Slowhand

Slowhand asks:

Or scaffold.

Charlie Self "They want the federal government controlling Social Security like it's some kind of federal program." George W. Bush, St. Charles, Missouri, November 2,

2000
Reply to
Charlie Self

smooth or ring shank?

Reply to
Swingman

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 11:06:02 -0800, "Slowhand"

Reply to
GregP

Reply to
Will

Swingman asks:

Ah, well scaffold nails are meant to be pulled, so I'd like smooth shanks.

Charlie Self "They want the federal government controlling Social Security like it's some kind of federal program." George W. Bush, St. Charles, Missouri, November 2,

2000
Reply to
Charlie Self

Thanks Geoff!

And to the rest if you lot!, sorry I asked!.

Eddy

Reply to
Eddy

Picky, ain't 'cha? Tom

Reply to
Thomas Bunetta

Reply to
Thomas Bunetta
6" pole barn spikes driven with a 27oz hammer hold very well. --dave
Reply to
Dave Jackson

I'd never heard of a scaffold nail. Here in O-ree-gone we call them duplex nails. Or the slang "dupes". SH

Reply to
Slowhand

Slowhand responds:

Ah, well. The news had to get there sooner or later. First time I heard them called scaffold nails was some time around '56, while--oddly enough--getting ready to build a scaffold. My boss sent me off to get some, with me thinking it was a new version of a left-handed monkey wrench search. It wasn't.

Charlie Self "I think we agree, the past is over." George W. Bush

Reply to
Charlie Self

Reply to
foggytown

And left-handed monkey wrenches actually *do* exist, too.

I've got one in my toolbox.

left-hand thread on the adjustable jaw.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi